cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tahoe National Forest

fireman93514
Explorer
Explorer
Has any one stayed at Granite flat CG between Truckee and Lake Tahoe? We are curious if there was a dump station there and your overall thoughts on the Camp. Our son wants us to join him there this summer. I definitely can not stay there for two weeks without using my shower.
John & Judy
2007 Winnebago Access 31C
2008 Ford Focus
9 REPLIES 9

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
We probably should do that. It would make a nice outing. Wife just had surgery so it could be a few more weeks before she feels like a road trip.

In addition to all those mentioned above, there is also camping at Martis, Boyington Mills, and a few RV parks in the area. With all the choices there likely will be something for your son. Some have IR 80 truck noise all day and night and some the UP railroad noise.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

fireman93514
Explorer
Explorer
jmtandem wrote:
Fireman,

If you live in Fallon, next time you go to Reno for something make the drive to Truckee and check it out for yourself. There are also campgrounds along SR 89 north of Truckee along the river, at Donner Lake state park, Boca, Stampede, Prosser, and just over the summit at Cisco and Hampshire Rocks. There is even a very small campground at Tahoe City adjacent to the US Coast Guard facility.

We probably should do that. It would make a nice outing. Wife just had surgery so it could be a few more weeks before she feels like a road trip.
John & Judy
2008 Ford Focus

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fireman,

If you live in Fallon, next time you go to Reno for something make the drive to Truckee and check it out for yourself. There are also campgrounds along SR 89 north of Truckee along the river, at Donner Lake state park, Boca, Stampede, Prosser, and just over the summit at Cisco and Hampshire Rocks. There is even a very small campground at Tahoe City adjacent to the US Coast Guard facility.

fireman93514
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Litch, Definitely something to consider. I guess thats why there are so many site available for this summer.
John & Judy
2008 Ford Focus

Litch
Explorer
Explorer
Another thing to realize with Granite Flat next to Hwy 89 is that the road to the landfill is just past the campground. With all the construction in Truckee and surrounding areas, trucks and garbage trucks going to the landfill occurs all day, 6 days a week. It is not a relaxing camping spot.
2006 Chevy HD LBZ Duramax/Allison
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 30sks

fireman93514
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the response. I will discuss this with my son.
John & Judy
2008 Ford Focus

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would consider Granite Flats more of a 'pass through' type campground. It is very close to SR 89, a fairly busy highway. And while the sites are easy to access and quite large there is no dump station associated with the campground. We have camped there two times in support of other activities where we used the campground as a base of operations kind of thing. As a destination campground I think it is a little too noisy. But, it is close to Squaw Valley, Truckee, and North Lake Tahoe.

JT
Explorer
Explorer
No dump station at Granite Flat. This page will show you the "local" dump options; some are pretty far from the campground.

http://www.sanidumps.com/rvdumpscity.php?citynum=5173&city=Truckee&cityradius=1

Granite Flat is a pleasant campground and convenient to Truckee, but it's right on 89, so there is traffic noise. If possible, reserve a riverside site.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
I have heard that there is a dump station at the chevron station near the west end of Truckee.

Here is a link: Click

These are the best types of camping experiences out there. No power, no generators. Just you and nature. Enjoy