cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

north New Mexico and Arizona in August

siguccs
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to travel from Denver to San Diego in August with my 36 foot RV. I would like to divide the trip up by spending a week in one place in northern New Mexico and a week in one location in northern AZ. I like to hike and hope to find places high up so it won't be so hot.

Bandelier National Monument in NM looks very interesting, but finding a place to stay looks like it might be a challenge. Staying in the park would be my preference, but I'm worried about the lack of a reservation system, and the length of my coach. Private parks are okay too, but the few I've found don't get even fair ratings.

So I'd like advice on how to manage a visit to Bandelier or suggestions as to alternatives in the general area.

Then I'd like similar advice for a high-altitude destination further along my route to San Diego - I was thinking around Flagstaff, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks!
9 REPLIES 9

msgtord
Explorer
Explorer
Red River, NM. Beautiful place and you can park your RV right up to the river.
1995 Fleetwood Mallard 22B.
2014 Ford F250 Crew Cab. 6.2, 4x4.

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
In Flagstaff, I like Bonito USFS campground, but no reservations. Next would be Pinegrove, at which some sites can be reserved. Lots of hiking and plenty to do and see in the Flagstaff/Sedona area. There are also places to boondock in Coconino Nat'l Forest, which I believe TucsonJim is alluding to.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

DesertHawk
Explorer
Explorer
We visited Bandelier in August a few years ago. There were many sites to choose from in the campgrounds. It is not at extremely high elevations & even lower down in the canyon were the ruins and many of the trails are.

Hyde Park State Park, above Santa Fe is much higher elevations & the hiking trails are in higher elevations. Should be very cool up there. The electric sites at the State Park should handle your rig with a problem, but at times water can be hard to find up there, depending on the rain that summer.

Hiking Santa Fe Nat'l Forest

Santa Fe & Bandelier Nat'l Mon't area of New Mexico -A Trip Report 2012. This was in August.

Los Alamos is a very neat small city in itself. Free bus system with very neat buses. Very pretty setting up in the high country. Somewhat of a gated community as well. We only drove through & stopped at a SuperMarket. A nice town. http://www.visit.losalamos.com/
http://www.losalamosnm.us/transit/Pages/default.aspx Between Santa Fe & Taos as well.

More on the Santa Fe Area Expanded & ABQ.

Santa Fe (Eating):
We had very good Asian from Jinja Bar & Bistro in Santa Fe last summer. Just stumbled onto it in a thunder/rain storm. We did carry out, but it was a very nice restaurant. Went back this summer & ate in the restaurant with our daughter & grandson. All enjoyed the food.

Someone at the AAA office recommended Tortilla Flats in Santa Fe; it prove to be very good as well.

Normally, we would eat on the Plaza, from Cart Vendors, such as Roque's Carnitas. Cart Cuisine, but they were not there that week-end. Due to the 'Santa Fe Indian Market', "a 91-year-old Native art market", we didn't find the normal street food venders on the Plaza. We did eat once at one of the 'Indian' vendors, but the lines were extremely long. Also at a roasted corn vendor.

North of Santa Fe, almost into Colorado & on the way to Durango & on to Mesa Verde: Chama Area. The very neat Cumbres Toltec Steam Train runs from & to Chama & Antonito (Colorado); turns soon after Cumbres Pass Station & head cross country to Antonito. One can do a halfway trip (which we did a few years ago), a 'free' meal at halfway point (price included in tickets). Good food there & plenty of it. Cumbres Toltec Steam Train Depending on the time of the year, one might be able disperse camp above Cumbres Pass in Nat'l Forest (in Colorado). There is a campground there called: Trujillo Meadows. Not sure if it will be open when you need it or not.

Or Going North from ABQ toward Mesa Verde: Two neat stops, north of Abiquiu, worth a see would be the Echo Amphitheater, a Natural rock formation, and the Ghost Ranch Piedra Lumbre Education and Visitor Center, located on U.S. Highway 84 just one mile north of the main Ghost Ranch entrance, has exhibits and a gift shop. A very nice museum in "OยดKeefe Country." The Echo Amphitheater is past the visitor center some miles.

Hyde Memorial State Park above Santa Fe (most of the state parks have free showers, but none there).

Find a Park Map. NM State Parks: $10 no hookup, $4 for electric, not entry fee on top of camping fee.

Cochiti COE Campground & Tent Rocks Nat'l Park in Northern New Mexico Off I-25: Near Santa Fe - Very Neat Area. Could be hot in summer.

Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks National Monument neat place to hike: Hikes and Ditto

New Mexico Scenic ByWays
:CDesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

eubank
Explorer
Explorer
In part, it depends on where you're going afterwards. There are really only two decent ways to go west-east in the northern half the state:

1. I40 from Texas through Albuquerque to Arizona
2. US64 from Raton through Taos and Chama to Farmington and into Arizona

We much prefer to take US64 over the interstate, in good measure because the interstate is just the best way to avoid seeing anything at all.

Ok, then, if you decide to go the US64 route, then Santa Fe is kind of out of the way. Stay in Taos or someplace on the Enchanted Circle.

If you decide to do I40 westwards, then Santa Fe is right on your route. Indeed, then you could do I25 all the day down from Denver through Santa Fe and into Albuquerque, where you catch I40 westwards. (And you'll see absolutely nothing.)

๐Ÿ™‚
Lynn

padredw wrote:
I'd suggest someplace along the Enchanted Circle of northern New Mexico, including Taos, Red River, Eagle Nest, Angel Fire

X 2. But I would add Santa Fe to this list, especially if you have never visited Santa Fe.

We often stay at the campground at the top of Raton Pass. It used to be called "Cedar Rail" but is now named "Raton Pass RV Park." In Taos we say at Taos Valley RV Park and in Santa Fe at Santa Fe Skies.

You could stay at either Santa Fe or Taos and make visits to all these places with easy drives. If so be sure to travel the old "high road to Taos" to (or from) Santa Fe. You might enjoy dining at Ranchos de Chimayo at the village of Chimayo.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
I'd suggest someplace along the Enchanted Circle of northern New Mexico, including Taos, Red River, Eagle Nest, Angel Fire

X 2. But I would add Santa Fe to this list, especially if you have never visited Santa Fe.

We often stay at the campground at the top of Raton Pass. It used to be called "Cedar Rail" but is now named "Raton Pass RV Park." In Taos we say at Taos Valley RV Park and in Santa Fe at Santa Fe Skies.

You could stay at either Santa Fe or Taos and make visits to all these places with easy drives. If so be sure to travel the old "high road to Taos" to (or from) Santa Fe. You might enjoy dining at Ranchos de Chimayo at the village of Chimayo.

eubank
Explorer
Explorer
I'd suggest someplace along the Enchanted Circle of northern New Mexico, including Taos, Red River, Eagle Nest, Angel Fire. All are at pretty good altitude, with Taos being the lowest at around 7000 feet. Lots of RV parks in the area with lots and lots to see and do.

From Denver, you'd come down I25 to Raton. From there, get on US64 and head west. You'll then enter the Enchanted Circle at Eagle Nest.

๐Ÿ™‚
Lynn

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
The North Rim of the Grand Canyon at 8000 feet would be nice for a stay.

The Ten X Forest Service CG just out side of the South Rim of the Grand Canyon is about 7000 feet. Should be cool there.

Several places in the White Mountains, Show Low.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
North Rim of Grand Canyon is another possibility, if you have a toad. You can stay at Jacob Lake and drive into the park. Or the park CG is nice but hard to get into.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
If your looking for a place to camp in the forest with your rig near Flagstaff, PM me. I don't like to publish my secret camping spots to the masses! ๐Ÿ˜‰ I have a couple of places in mind that could easily fit your rig and the forest is beautiful.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)