Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The Spectacle: Quartzsite in the Eyes of a Newbie

RussOnTheRoad
Explorer
Explorer

An excerpt from my new blog post:

Quartzsite, for those of you that may not know, is a little town in southwestern Arizona. Among other things it is home to an RV show that takes place about the middle of January for some 10 days.

From the home page of the show's web site: "Every January something happens that is hard to believe, unless you have seen it! According to the Arizona Highway Department, as many as 750,000 to 1,000,000 people, mostly in RVโ€™s, converge on this sleepy little desert town, located just 20 miles east of the California border on Interstate 10, for the rock, gem and mineral shows, plus numerous flea markets and the Quartzsite Sports, Vacation & RV Show. This phenomenon started over 40 years ago and is now billed as โ€œThe Largest Gathering Of RVers in the Worldโ€..." I couldn't have said it better myself. That's why I quoted the show's site! Ha!

The full report is free with all the other free goddies on my blog RussOnTheRoad. Like it? Sign up for free email notices when I make new posts.
Subscribe to my blog for photo tips, travel, boondocking, campground, product user reports and more: RussOnTheRoad.wordpress.com
11 REPLIES 11

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
A weird place indeed.
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
We saw a guy pulling a TT get stuck in the wash this year...:( ๐Ÿ˜ž THAT was a dumb move.
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
That wash is no joke and can be deceiving... Don't feel bad.. Some idiot in a BMW parked out there and buried the car clean to the chassis. There's no way he didn't break something getting pulled out of that one.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
On our first trip to Q last year we were looking for parking and DW says 'park here' which was the wash and several other vehicles were there.

The bad news is that we got stuck in the deep gravel and I had to dig out. If you don't have 4WD or an ATV, better be very careful there.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
There was one in the main tent and another across the street.

Sure WAS goooood...... ๐Ÿ™‚
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
RussOnTheRoad wrote:
amandasgramma wrote:
Valkyriebush........yesterday's traffic WAS bad. There was an accident on I-10 we're told that routed everyone thru Q. I can't find anything on the newsfeeds about it though. We discovered the "wash" yesterday....free parking all around!!!!! Look for the banner across the "driveway" of the wash that says PROGRESSIVE. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Russ -- read your blog....GOOD JOB!!! ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

I will say one thing about the BIG TENT this year as compared to other years. There were only a couple of jewelry booths. One year, there was at least 2 on every row. Don't think they did so well. ๐Ÿ™‚ We found ways to spend our dollars. Went back yesterday morning early to pick up something we wanted......then tried to find that fudge booth. Dang....DH didn't want to roam to find it -- THAT's got to be a first!!!!!

Fudge booth? FUDGE BOOTH??? WHERE? I MUST KNOW!!! Hahah.

Thanks for you kind words about my blog. I work hard to provide useful and entertaining info, and that includes my photography for which I'm known.
๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ I wish I could have remembered!!!! Guess I'll have to make some. ๐Ÿ˜ž Your pics ARE great! ๐Ÿ™‚
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats

RussOnTheRoad
Explorer
Explorer
amandasgramma wrote:
Valkyriebush........yesterday's traffic WAS bad. There was an accident on I-10 we're told that routed everyone thru Q. I can't find anything on the newsfeeds about it though. We discovered the "wash" yesterday....free parking all around!!!!! Look for the banner across the "driveway" of the wash that says PROGRESSIVE. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

I will say one thing about the BIG TENT this year as compared to other years. There were only a couple of jewelry booths. One year, there was at least 2 on every row. Don't think they did so well. ๐Ÿ™‚ We found ways to spend our dollars. Went back yesterday morning early to pick up something we wanted......then tried to find that fudge booth. Dang....DH didn't want to roam to find it -- THAT's got to be a first!!!!!

Fudge booth? FUDGE BOOTH??? WHERE? I MUST KNOW!!! Hahah.

Thanks for you kind words about my blog. I work hard to provide useful and entertaining info, and that includes my photography for which I'm known.
Subscribe to my blog for photo tips, travel, boondocking, campground, product user reports and more: RussOnTheRoad.wordpress.com

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats

Valkyriebush
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yesterday the traffic was awful!! I rode up from Yuma for some BBQ at the Texas BBQ trailer in front of Gem World. That Scooter is the best vehicle for QZ this time of year.
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

RussOnTheRoad
Explorer
Explorer
Golden_HVAC wrote:
Yes it is interesting. Have you been in the 'wash'? It goes from the south side of I 10 to the north side up the dry creekbed. It is a good and normally hard packed sand roadway, that I have taken a dune buggy, Honda CRV, Windstar van, and a few years ago a Ford Edge on it. It avoids a lot of the Quartzsite traffic. Though now that there are traffic signals on highway 95, traffic moves along much better.

Have fun!

Fred.

I don't think I've seen that... well maybe I've seen part of it as Ive walked along 95. My toad is a little motorcycle and the washes with all the sand and gravel are places I generally avoid with that.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it is interesting. Have you been in the 'wash'? It goes from the south side of I 10 to the north side up the dry creekbed. It is a good and normally hard packed sand roadway, that I have taken a dune buggy, Honda CRV, Windstar van, and a few years ago a Ford Edge on it. It avoids a lot of the Quartzsite traffic. Though now that there are traffic signals on highway 95, traffic moves along much better.

Have fun!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com