cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Things on the way to Carlsbad Caverns, NM

JKwock
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking about a family camping trip to the Carlsbad Caverns with my wife and three children (11, 9, and 7). What other great places will be on the way from Los Angeles, Ca. Have always traveled north but it's time to travel east. Thanks in advance.

Jason
17 REPLIES 17

pnwham
Explorer
Explorer
X2 to 2gypsies. He hit them all. We especially liked Chirichuca Nat'l Monument. Just make sure you take the natural entrance at Carlsbad.

Rich

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
If you're taking I-10 there is lots to do in Tucson, Arizona - Desert Museum, Air Museum for starters. Gilbert Ray campground or Catalina State Park are tops.

Then a stop 50 miles east is Kartchner Caverns just west of Benson, AZ with a great campground. It's altogether different from Carlsbad. Kartchner is still growing! Take the Throne Room tour.

Also near the Benson, AZ area is Tombstone - kinda commercialized but still fun with a shoot out in the street once a day. It's a well-preserved western town. Nearby Bisbee has a fantastic mine tour where everyone dons a yellow slicker and puts a headlamp helmet on and then hop on an ore car for the tour. Retired miners give the tour and it's very well done.

A little further east is Chirichuca Nat'l Monument with some great trails and awesome unique formations. It's a beauty. There a campground for smaller RVs.

Then there's not too much along I-10 until you pass thru El Paso and just before Carlsbad where you'll find Hueco Tanks State Park and a little further is Guadalupe Nat'l Park.

For Carlsbad, staying at Brantley Lake State Park is nice. Have a great trip.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grand Canyon, for one.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375