cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Things to Do around Catalina SP, Arizona

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
We're leaving for Catalina State Park after Christmas and will be there for a week. For those that have stayed in that area, can you give me some ideas of fun/interesting things to do? Also, any good eateries/restaurants are good too!
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"
17 REPLIES 17

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
Saguaro Nat'l isn't 70 miles from Catalina. Offhand I'd say no more than 15-20 miles. There are two sections, one on the western side of Tucson; one on the eastern. They are both worth driving through and if you like to walk or hike, there are trails of all lengths and for all abilities. Saguaro West is near the Tucson Desert Museum and Old Tucson Studios. You'll love the whole Tucson area!

Thanks for the info. I came up with 70 miles when I looked up directions from Catalina SP to Saguaro in the internet. Good to know it's not that far.
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Saguaro Nat'l isn't 70 miles from Catalina. Offhand I'd say no more than 15-20 miles. There are two sections, one on the western side of Tucson; one on the eastern. They are both worth driving through and if you like to walk or hike, there are trails of all lengths and for all abilities. Saguaro West is near the Tucson Desert Museum and Old Tucson Studios. You'll love the whole Tucson area!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Follow up question: Is Seguaro National Park worth visiting while where in Catalina SP? I see it's about 70 miles away.
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the info. I'll check out the passport too.

10-4 on In and Out Burger; lots of them in So Cal, which is where they started in Baldwin Park.
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
liberty2010 wrote:
buy one of these, http://www.visittucson.org/deals/passport/

Here's a clickable link to the previous post:

Tucson Passport
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

liberty2010
Explorer
Explorer
buy one of these, http://www.visittucson.org/deals/passport/

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well heck, "In and Out" burger makes it worth the trip by itself....lol I had heard it can get cool(cold) and breezy there so I hope we'll be ready for whatever comes our way but Thanks for the head's up!
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just a heads up for all of you headed for Catalina SP - no wood fires are permitted. Not sure about the Little red Campfire, probably OK but definitely no wood burning of any kind. As noted above be prepared to bundle up as it gets cold at night... but we are expecting 80 degrees over the next couple of days so bring some sun screen as well. :B

More good news.... there is an "In an Out Burger" right across the highway from the SP entrance, yum!

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi again
You won't miss me either, We'll be in the older Vogue with the Southwestern dรฉcor or easier yet in Site B-24...lol See ya there! ๐Ÿ™‚
96 Vogue Prima Vista
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

RFV
Explorer
Explorer
What's nice about this park is that there are many stores across the entrance to it in case you forget something. Campground A (original campground) is electric and non-electric while campground B is all electric. One of the cleanest places I have been. Campground hosts really take pride in keeping it clean!

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Acampingwewillgo wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:
Thanks for all the info!

Hi
Are you coming to Catalina State Park with the Group from the other Forum? (My RV Forum). No matter either way, I'll also be their right after Christmas thru New Year's and look you up if that's Okie Dokie when I arrive?
Dwight

PS....there's something like 20 rigs attending from that other Forum.

Excellent! Let me know how to find you. I'll be in the FR Windjammer (V-Hull), not too many of those around!
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ron3rd wrote:
Thanks for all the info!

Hi
Are you coming to Catalina State Park with the Group from the other Forum? (My RV Forum). No matter either way, I'll also be their right after Christmas thru New Year's and look you up if that's Okie Dokie when I arrive?
Dwight

PS....there's something like 20 rigs attending from that other Forum.
96 Vogue Prima Vista

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the info!
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Desert captain listed a lot of good places to see. If you're up for it, take a walking tour of historical downtown Tucson.

Tucson Walking Tour

Then, there is the Titan Missile Museum:

Titan Missile Museum

And if you get a chance, you might want to take a couple hour drive to visit the historic towns of Bisbee and Tombstone.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)