cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trip Report: The Perfect Family Trip!

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
EDIT: I wanted to add this link here at the beginning.

Ragusa's Summer 2014 Trailer

Hello friends! We have been home for two months, but I am just now feeling like getting to the trip report. The trip was so EPIC, that I was honestly a bit intimidated to put it into a thread. Realizing now that I could never do the trip justice, I decided to just jump in and let the report come out the best it does.

Over the last year or more, many folks on this forum had helped in the planning over on this thread: A year of planning for the perfect family trip! Thank you to all that contributed.

Some were put off by my use of the word "perfect", saying that it wasn't possible. Well, not only was it possible, but it was accomplished! Perfect doesn't mean trouble free. Having the right state of mind is necessary at times. But all in all, 99% of the trip went off exactly as we had hoped.

I want to give a thorough report. We have 20,000 photos and over 20 hours of video to sort and sift through. I've been working diligently on iMovie and already have half the trip put together. I put together a very brief slideshow for close friends and family, and even that is a 4 hour process showing some 1,000 pictures. That being said, the photos and videos are a labor of love for us personally. I hope to share them with people, but understand how hard it is to sit through other families home movies. That's where you folks come in! We have a common interest. Campers, camping, travel, etc. I think posting here will be a great way to share with the community.

The trip: We left on June 6, 2014 from South Carolina and headed west for a 40 day loop through the Southwest. We hit as many National Parks as we could in that time frame. When we parked the truck in the driveway, the odometer read 5,999.9 miles. Every last one of them treasured.

Places visited:

Petrified Forest
Walnut Canyon
Sunset Crater
Wupatki
Grand Canyon
Glen Canyon and Lake Powell
Kanab, Utah
Zion
Bryce
Capitol Reef
Goblin Valley
Arches
Canyonlands
Moab
Mesa Verde
Durango
Silverton
Ouray
Ridgway
Black Canyon of the Gunnison
Rocky Mtn National Park
Sand Creek
Wichita
St. Louis

I listed places we actually stopped and did things. There were many other things that were just quick "on the road" stops.

The family: Family of 4. We're in our late 40's with twin 9 year old boys.

My windows to post may be sporadic, so I think it's best for me to post in installments, as I get the time. Like a mini-series. LOL

I'll do my best to keep you entertained and offer opinions for any that have questions.

ADDED: Here's a link to one segment of our home movie 2014 ARCHES VIDEO
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!
246 REPLIES 246

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
Again, thanks for sharing.
It's helpful to see the timeline you used for each park.

I'm curious about what your boys thought of the trip. Is there any place that they didn't care for as much as the others?
I'd like to do a southwest trip in probably 2-3 years, but we will have a max of 16 days off with 6 driving there and back. We'll have to pick and choose our stops accordingly. I'm sure we'll eliminate something that is similar or just not as interesting for the kids.

Are you guys planning another trip for this summer as well?
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the heads up on the train that is one of our plans maybe for next year.
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

EcoBullet
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:
Durango

We had reservations in one of the open car gondolas, which was a great choice! We really, really enjoyed the trip. The scenery is amazing, and it was a better experience than we had expected. However, the day was long, long, long. About 7.5 hours on the train, plus 2 hours in Silverton. We would recommend one way and take the bus back. Folks on this forum have mixed opinion on that. I don't. ๐Ÿ˜‰

My wife and I agree with you totally. One way on the train is plenty.
Me 1954, Nana 1954, Grandson 2003, Granddaughters 2005 & 2008
2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2013 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4X4 Ecoboost Max Tow

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
What fun! I'm enjoying the story and photos.
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4
Torklift/Fastguns/Hellwig/StableLoads

bee_46
Explorer
Explorer
I have been reading your trip report with great interest as we visited a number of the places this year ourselves that you visited. Several others places we took our children to in 1989. It is fun to see a trip through someone elses eyes. I was sorry that our age prevented us from doing some of the hikes this year that you took as there are many interesting places off the beaten path. I chronicaled our trip in a blog. The link is in my signature.
Bobbie ๐Ÿ™‚

2003 Pleasure Way Excel TD

Alaska 2008

Arches, Geysers, and Canyons

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Durango

Like I said, we left Mesa Verde a day early, having seen all we were interested in. To us, it was one of those, glad we saw it...won't go back.

It was a short drive into Durango, where we stayed at Junction Creek? Can't remember the name now, but it was a Forest Service campground off a gravel road about 5-6 miles north of town. You had to drive through a neighborhood and then down a terrible gravel road. It was nice, quiet, and cheap.

We were in Durango for two nights. Mainly to give us a day on the train to Silverton. But we were there early enough in the day to spend an afternoon walking downtown Durango. It's a great little town, but shopping, etc. isn't our thing. However, we stopped in at the Strader Hotel and talked the bellman into giving us a little tour. It was great! For the price of a small tip, he spent a half hour with us and took us through 4 or 5 of the most famous rooms. The Louis L'Amour room, Will Rogers, President Ford... Certainly wasn't a Motel 6. Met some fellow in the lobby that talked about all the secret passages and hiding places in the hotel. Interesting stuff.

We went back to camp, grilled burgers and got some rest. Next morning, we were up before the sun to board the train by 7am. I had been eaten alive by mosquitos the night before. So much so, that my legs were swollen and I had to take Benedryl. Those bites stayed with me for the next month. It was terrible. Being from south Louisiana, I thought I had seen the best of mosquitos...but Colorado is a close second.

We had reservations in one of the open car gondolas, which was a great choice! We really, really enjoyed the trip. The scenery is amazing, and it was a better experience than we had expected. However, the day was long, long, long. About 7.5 hours on the train, plus 2 hours in Silverton. We would recommend one way and take the bus back. Folks on this forum have mixed opinion on that. I don't. ๐Ÿ˜‰

With the two hours in Silverton, we walked most of the town. It was cool, but a tourist trap for sure.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great report, we've been to many of those same places and Zion's our favorite too.

Hard to find kids nowadays that enjoy that kind of stuff. Great job.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Mesa Verde

Really glad folks are enjoying the thread. I enjoy sharing. Moreso than my wife. I'm sure she wouldn't want these photos on here. Shhhhh.

This was the longest drive we'd had in a few weeks. Took most of the day to go from Arches to Mesa Verde. Not a very exciting drive either. However, we were just discussing our cravings for seeing green again. And we were just about to get our fix!

We had scheduled two nights here, but after seeing the campground, and how much there was to see, we opted out after one night. The campground itself was just about empty, and it was obvious why. It hasn't been updated since the 50's, and it was not being maintained well. They did have a laundry, so we were able to get that done. We used our stop here as more of a housekeeping stop with the Cliff Palace and the museum thrown in.

We had no problem getting an early morning cliff palace tour. Which was good, because, it was HOT right about when we were finishing.

We enjoyed the tour. We made friends with another family, and after the tour, spent an hour in a shady spot talking about travel. As we left, we stopped at the roadside Navajo Fry Bread stand. They weren't busy at all, and we enjoyed stories of the history of fry bread and their ancestry. The bread was like funnel cake at your local fair. Wish we had tried a Navajo taco somewhere, but the one place we stopped they were too pricey.

We had gotten a lot of books from the library for the trip. One was about Mesa Verde. The boys immediately recognized some of the relics from the book. They got a kick out of seeing them in person.

To those that complimented how much we did, I'll let a dirty little secret out. When we hit this museum, and the air conditioning was feeling so good, I found a bench in a dark, quiet corner and took a one hour nap while they looked around. Hahahaha... I had to cry uncle after a month of running and gunning.

Victory402
Explorer
Explorer
I just read your entire post. What a great way to start my day. Thank you very much for the inspiration. You have a wonderful family with a wonderful vacation memory.

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
Great stuff. I'm more inspired to go back out west next summer.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Canyonlands

We took only a half day to go over to Canyonlands. I'm sure there is lots more to do, but we enjoyed what we saw in just a few hours.

First, went all the way out to the end of the island in the sky and did the overlook. It really was the same view we had from the Hurrah Point drive the day before.

As I said before, ALL of the Ranger programs were OUTSTANDING! Here, the boys just did a special lesson on the biological crust that protects the desert sands. The Ranger said they did so well that she gave them pins that not everyone gets. She asked them to wear the pins and be advocates to teach folks not to step off the trail. They are so proud of those pins.

We then went to Mesa Arch. This was our favorite arch of all! Absolutely gorgeous, and worth the drive over to the park just for this one site. However, stupid people are all around. For anyone that's been here, you know that the arch itself is completely out over a very far drop. When we were there, a mom and her two children (younger than 6) were walking across the top of the arch. The little boy, actually sat on the edge and let his feet dangle!!! I had to turn away and couldn't even watch. In hind sight, I should have said something.

And lastly, there are miles and miles of dirt roads in Canyonlands as well. Here we are on one of them.

Next up, Mesa Verde...

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Ecobullet, that one is already printed 11x17 and framed in the living room! I have some more special ones from later in the trip. You guys will see in the next week or so.

Modern Family, you are so right! I am thankful every day for the personalities in the family. These guys all rock! My wife has always been game for anything, and the kids are too. It'll be a sad day when they first choose to do something other than spend every moment with Mom and Dad...

EcoBullet
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:

All great photos, but this one especially is an outstanding family portrait!

Thanks again for sharing your adventure with us.
Me 1954, Nana 1954, Grandson 2003, Granddaughters 2005 & 2008
2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2013 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4X4 Ecoboost Max Tow

modern_family
Explorer
Explorer
I am amazed at how much your family did. I wish my wife and kids would do all of those hikes and sight seeing! My son might, but not the wife and daughter. As everyone has said, thanks for taking the time and sharing. I hope to see SOME of the destinations you have listed, I just have to make the trip a little more glamping and maybe the rest will follow!

Definitely a great trip log, congrats!
2017.. Prime Time Avenger. 32QBI

His.. 2011 F-350, King Ranch, 6.2L. Crew Cab, 4x4, 8' bed, SRW, 11,000 GVWR

Hers..2008 Ford Expedition, King Ranch Heavy Duty Tow, 3.73 gears

Sold.. 2005 Star craft, Travel Star 18SB

Sold.. 2013 Keystone Laredo, 291

Debbie
Explorer
Explorer
Nice to hear you had a wonderful trip. We love all the places you went too. Love the beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing.
I wanna go where I haven't been, but still wanna see what I've seen again!