cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Twin Falls Resort State Park, W.Va.

VeroWing
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone been to Twin Falls Resort State Park in W.Va., and can offer any local info or places to visit in the area. we're heading through this area in mid-August.
10 REPLIES 10

VeroWing
Explorer
Explorer
We arrived home in Florida yesterday evening from our visit to Twin Falls Resort State Park in W.Va. Had a great time and really enjoyed the natural beauty of the Appalachian Mountains. The park itself covers miles, and is immaculate and teaming with deer, turkey, and lots of other wildlife. Our campsite was near the top of a mountain and was the only one occupied within eyesight of any others. The views were second to none, and although very quiet and alone, park rangers made routine visits by us and suggested walking trails and natural sites to visit. We elected to spend most of our time walking some of the many trails and visiting the water falls in the park. Just inside the park entrance, there is a lodge with dining facilities and even a nice 18 hole golf course, but we elected to be up in the mountains enjoying the serene beautiful natural surroundings. If you are looking to get away from it all and wanting to relax in a peaceful place, this place would be hard to beat.

VeroWing
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you wvcampers. We'll be sure to check those out. Looking forward to our W.Va. visit.

wvcampers
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the Outdoor Dramas at Cliffside Park they have 2 different ones. Honey in the Rock or Hatfields and McCoys. It is not that far away. There is also the Exhibition Coal Mine in Beckley. They will take you into the old underground coal mine.
2017 F350 6.7 CC Lariat DRW
2018 Cardinal Luxury Edition 3250 RLX

VeroWing
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, cjoseph. Just the info we were searching for. Appreciate you taking time to show us the many options of the area. We're really looking forward to our visit there.:)

cjoseph
Explorer
Explorer
See the falls, duh?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Natural Beauty, that's primarily what you will find there. Who needs anything else, right? Twin Falls will afford you time to unwind and enjoy nature. That is for sure.

Most of anything that goes on happens in nearby Beckley, WV. There is an expedition coal mine there, shopping --Tamarak -the Best of WV. A little further away is the New River Gorge National River with whitewater rafting, rock climbing and hiking. The New River Gorge Bridge is a destination in and of itself. Patrons can walk a catwalk under the bridge for a birds eye view of the river 800 feet below. We have gone to Bridge Day when base jumpers are allowed to take the plunge. There's a whole festival around the bridge one weekend in October. (I think the 3rd weekend?)

Near Twin Falls, you will find small coal towns. Some are still bustling but most have dwindled to ghost towns or nearly so.

Coalwood was the home of Homer Hickam, the author of October Sky. They made the movie Rocket Boys from his book. After the popularity of the movie, they had a Rocket Boys festival in Coalwood every October, but moved it to Beckley for lack of attendance there.

I may be wrong, there might be more to do close to Twin Falls, but I can't recall much more. The last time I was there was for flood relief in 2002 (maybe 2001, not sure), so the area was pretty tore up.

I have spent more time in the Fayetteville area at New River. That's the main attraction in the Southern WV area. If in Fayetteville, I recommend Pies and Pints for pizza and micro brews, if you're into either. We like Diogis restaurant too.

This area possesses so much outdoor adventure and beauty that the Boy Scouts built an 11,000 acre camp to host their National Jamboree. (It's going on right now.)

BigRed1Cav, who mentioned Hatfield/McCoy, is right on if you like to ride ATVs/UTVs. Various government agencies joined together to develop an extensive series of trails that connect different communities in the area. Maybe there might be a rental company to give you a starter ride if you don't have any experience with ATVs. Look out, you may be trading in for a Toyhauler afterwards! (If you don't already have one?) Part of the trail system is near Twin Falls --The Pinnacle Creek Trail. The trails are rated Easy and on up. That would be an awesome way to take in the scenery.

Go here for more info on HMT:

Hatfield/McCoy --Take this recommendation from two Big Red One alums! (attached 2004 Task Force Danger) DUTY FIRST!

Hope you enjoy WV. I'm luck enough to live here full time.
Chuck, Heidi, Jessica & Nicholas
2013 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA

VeroWing
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies. I was hoping to find persons that had actually stayed at Twin Falls resort and get their first hand impressions, but I will research info shared here. A friend recently spent a week there and raved about the natural beauty and "off the beaten path" appeal of the area, and I wondered if others felt similarly. I will be sure to offer our opinions once we return from there. Thanks again.

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
hatfield mccoy area

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the Twin Falls info. It just might fit in perfectly on our return trip from Fairy Stone SP home to St Louis, MO. Interesting area and we want to see more. Keep the info coming.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Chase_WV
Explorer
Explorer
Gotowv.com
2017 Ram 3500 6.7 CTD
2012 Keystone Hideout 31RBDS (Reese Dual Cam WD)

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Under the park's "To Do" tab at their official website they list several items.
http://www.twinfallsresort.com/recreation.html

If I want to know what's going on locally I look at the websites for the nearby town's chamber of commerce. I also use Tripadvisor.com to look up local sights. I find the nearby town names by looking at the address of the State Park on its official webpage.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus