cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Typical problem we all see in RV parks.

Spade_Cooley
Explorer
Explorer
Is it just me or have others experienced the loud trucks doing a warm up in the early morning in preparation to go to work. It happens to me no matter where I go.

We have a nice mother and daughter living across the street here in the park. The daughter is in her thirties and has a job at a motel down the road. She starts the loudest truck on the planet at 0645 and allows it to warm up rather than just put it in drive off. I'm an early riser but why do workers in rv parks need to disturb others?

I respect the fact that people need work and make a living but parks could place these rigs together in an area by themselves. Am I the only one griping about this?
76 REPLIES 76

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
Which is why some of us only boondock....

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
The park would be way out of line if they tried to segregate groups of people into different sections. .
What would you say about 'no generator' sections of state parks?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
There's 2 topics here. First, we don't usually get noise especially snowbirding along with mostly seniors. Mostly national, state parks, etc. Secondly, "warming up" a modern vehicle is about 40 years outdated. Absolutely unnecessary from a mechanical point of view and for temperature a moving vehicle warms up faster. But I guess you can't go around the park preaching that. But the short answer is- No we don't have that problem.
Jayco-noslide

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Spade Cooley wrote:
Is it just me or have others experienced the loud trucks doing a warm up in the early morning in preparation to go to work. It happens to me no matter where I go.

We have a nice mother and daughter living across the street here in the park. The daughter is in her thirties and has a job at a motel down the road. She starts the loudest truck on the planet at 0645 and allows it to warm up rather than just put it in drive off. I'm an early riser but why do workers in rv parks need to disturb others?

I respect the fact that people need work and make a living but parks could place these rigs together in an area by themselves. Am I the only one griping about this?
I am pretty sure there are people in that park that would like nothing more than to be segregated away from you as well. Almost everyone does something that annoys someone else.
It is impossible for a park to segregate everyone from all the things that potentially annoy others. The list of things people grip about is nearly endless. Sure, there could be a section only for workers, but that site next to you could still be a vacationing family with a half dozen screaming children and a couple of barking dogs. They could still get up early every morning, start up the diesel pickup that tows their fifth wheel, noisily load everything they need for the day, gather up the kids and dogs and head out on their day's adventure. Then they could return 20 minutes later and park with the truck idling as little Joey looks for the I-Phone he lost.
If the actions of others causes stress in your life, you need to consider different living arrangements because you aren't going to get everyone in an RV Park to think and move in lockstep with you.

2003silverado
Explorer II
Explorer II
Stock diesels, even the older loud ones idling don't bother me. What does bother me is people who have modified their truck because they like to be heard and they let them idle endlessly.

Even an old car with a failing exhaust system idling doesn't bother me because the owner didn't intentionally make their car loud. I like to be understanding of peoples lifestyles, but intentionally making a vehicle louder and then letting it run long periods at inappropriate times crosses the line from generally acceptable to selfish IMHO.

Merry Christmas!

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
RAllison wrote:
I'm starting to notice the older I get the more I gripe about things I did when I was a youngster.

X2
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

RAllison
Explorer
Explorer
I'm starting to notice the older I get the more I gripe about things I did when I was a youngster.

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many of the RV parks I have been to do segregate the long-term residents (many of whom work) from the short-term or overnighters. As to this form of discrimination being illegal, it isn't. Discrimination, per se, is not illegal. It is only illegal if a law says it is, such as based on race, sex, etc.
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Considering you are living in a "community" with other people living in the same "community" and this is your "home", you can expect people to live their normal lives. If you were living in an apartment complex, you'd have the same situation going on. The only difference is, stick and brick buildings are a little more sound proof.

Bottom line, they are doing nothing wrong, illegal, or immoral. They are well within their own boundaries to live their own lifestyle the way they want.

The park would be way out of line if they tried to segregate groups of people into different sections. That would fall under the category of "discrimination". If they separated the active working group from the not active working group, they've just opened themselves up to a can of legal worms. Even if they designated different sections of the park for working and non-working and then let individual decide where they wanted to park, they would be opening a can of legal worms no one want's to eat.

It would be no different than designating different sections of the part for different color of skin, religion, nationality, or even sex.

When you live in a community, you have to accept the unconventional lifestyle of others, or else, simply, look for another place to live.

What would happen if the neighbor who runs their vehicle engine in the morning started complaining about you for cooking steak in the evening and the aroma is filtering into their yard. And they are strictly vegetarians! How would you feel. Would you quit fixing steak for Supper because the smell blows to someone who is offended by the smell of meat?

Think about it.

Well said, all of it. Unfortunately that does not apply to the NIMBY folks, some of whom have posted in this thread.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
One of the reasons we prefer state/national parks over private parks is that the usually short stay limits tend to keep out those working in the area that leave early with their trucks. Other than the occasional earlier morning RV departure, diesel noise is not much of a problem.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I guess they've never heard of an engine block heater. One reason I started avoiding Rv parks years ago: people going to work.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Of course this is common to all RV parks being that these large rigs require powerful engines to get them to their destinations. Some of these tow vehicles require longer warm up times, our 3/4 ton Chevy gasser is pretty much just start and go.

We always use some form of white noise when sleeping whether at home or in our rig. When overnighting at Walmarts and truck stops we awake in the morning and notice many commercial trucks and Class A rigs have come and gone without disturbing our slumber.

SusanDallas
Explorer
Explorer
It is not just rv parks. I live in a subdivision in a rural area. My neighbor two doors down from me has 4 diesel dump trucks that he uses for his business. He starts them all up at 4:30 am every weekday. He lets them idle for over 45 minutes before they pull out. On the weekends, he plays loud music while he works on the engines. Every neighbor next to his house has moved and the houses have been vacant for years. Since we are outside the city limits, there are no restrictions.

What it boils down to wherever you are is consideration for others. Some people have none.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
In the park we are at in Florida, we are surrounded by trucks with diesel engines and loud pipes. We also have numerous Harley's that have pipes that make them louder than factory levels. Yesterday the guy next to me let his diesel truck idol for 40 minutes before leaving. It's annoying yes, but it sure is less annoying than shoveling snow every day, which is what I would be doing if I didn't come to Florida this winter. If making a choice, I'm picking the loud trucks and motorcycles every time over the snow!
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Considering you are living in a "community" with other people living in the same "community" and this is your "home", you can expect people to live their normal lives. If you were living in an apartment complex, you'd have the same situation going on. The only difference is, stick and brick buildings are a little more sound proof.

Bottom line, they are doing nothing wrong, illegal, or immoral. They are well within their own boundaries to live their own lifestyle the way they want.

The park would be way out of line if they tried to segregate groups of people into different sections. That would fall under the category of "discrimination". If they separated the active working group from the not active working group, they've just opened themselves up to a can of legal worms. Even if they designated different sections of the park for working and non-working and then let individual decide where they wanted to park, they would be opening a can of legal worms no one want's to eat.

It would be no different than designating different sections of the part for different color of skin, religion, nationality, or even sex.

When you live in a community, you have to accept the unconventional lifestyle of others, or else, simply, look for another place to live.

What would happen if the neighbor who runs their vehicle engine in the morning started complaining about you for cooking steak in the evening and the aroma is filtering into their yard. And they are strictly vegetarians! How would you feel. Would you quit fixing steak for Supper because the smell blows to someone who is offended by the smell of meat?

Think about it.