cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

western Blue Ridge Parkway Campgrounds

cman60
Explorer
Explorer
Wanting to go to the BRP and stay on the west side. Looking to trout fish and motorcycle. Wife loves to antique. 28ft rv pulling a 14ft trailer. Electricity would be nice. Thanks for any and all advice. Chris.
Every day is a good day to ride, just some better than others.
1997 Fleetwood Flair
Towing either a 24 or 14 ft trailer full of motorcycles
19 REPLIES 19

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
kohldad wrote:
Well, he was very vague on where he wanted to go.

If you are in Townsend and are going down to drive the Tail of the Dragon, it will be further than an hour away

Disagree. I come through Tail of the Dragon several times with my TC. Jump over the Foothills Parkway, take a right and a couple miles you are in Townsend. Easily less than an hour even in my TC.

Now if you try to go up and over 441, then 19 to 28 to eastern start of the Dragon, yep, several hours.

You are right. I forgot about coming around that way.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

cman60
Explorer
Explorer
Bama, in the 14 years or so of owning this rv we have never ran into this. Needless to say this got my attenion.
1997 Fleetwood Flair

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Persimmon Creek CG outside of Murphy.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

BAMA_57
Explorer
Explorer
Several tunnels; make sure your rig is not too tall. My sister's RV would not clear.
2002 27' Keystone Travel Trailer
2000 Ford F250 Superduty 7.3 turbo diesel six speed manual

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
This may be to far west for you. Indian Boundary Recreation Area is just off the Cherohala Skyway and has 30 amp electric and water faucets around the campground. The Cherohala Skyway runs between Tellico Plains TN and US-129 north of Robbinsville NC. This area would provide lots of road for motorcycling, both paved and unpaved. I'm not a fisherman, but I would think that this area would have trout fishing.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

cman60
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sorry for all the confusion. We are wanting to be around the Cherokee area. We are hoping to trout fish. We are avid motorcyclist, both on road and off. We have street legal Dirt Bikes. And yes, the wife likes to also antique. With that being said we would just like electricity and maybe a campground that has showers. Trying to stay on the Western edge of NC for our base camp. Its not unusual for us to ride 2-3 hundred mile loops in a day, either off road or on. Hoping for some insight on some campgrounds. Thanks again, Chris.
1997 Fleetwood Flair

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
OP needs to know that the BRP is closed 8 miles north of Asheville for 20 miles due to a slope failure. The detour around this section is long. They _plan_ to reopen it by Labor Day wknd, but with all the rain we've had and more in the forecast, who knows?

'Western end' of the P'way means Asheville-Waynesville-Maggie Valley-Cherokee area. Just look at a map, the P'way runs diagonally NE to SW to Asheville, then turns mostly west.

The only NPS CG's in that area are Mt Pisgah on the P'way & Smokemont in GSMNP. Neither has any hookups. There are NFS CG's a Lake Powhatan and Davidson River. No sure about the first, the second may have electric on one (?) loop. For commercial CG's, you've got a lot of choices.

Jim, "Mo' coffee!"
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
kohldad wrote:

If you are in Townsend and are going down to drive the Tail of the Dragon, it will be further than an hour away

Disagree. I come through Tail of the Dragon several times with my TC. Jump over the Foothills Parkway, take a right and a couple miles you are in Townsend. Easily less than an hour even in my TC.

Now if you try to go up and over 441, then 19 to 28 to eastern start of the Dragon, yep, several hours.

But then how far is Townsend from the Blue Ridge Parkway. More than an hour don't you think? And that is the destination. The BRP is nowhere near Townsend
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Man, this thread is all over the place...they ask about western part of the BRP...first post is what would be call the farthest eastern part of the BRP. While it may also go North/South, it does go East/West as well.

Then you got mentioning of not riding the BRP on a motorcycle because it's slow, but then they mention GSMNP, which is also slow. If you are in Townsend and are going down to drive the Tail of the Dragon, it will be further than an hour away. From Townsend to Cherokee will take you about an hour and half alone.

Then the mention of TN, which the BRP is not in. The closest you will get to TN on the BRP will be in the Linville area.

Part of the BRP is closed to the east or north side of Asheville.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

B_s_Bunch
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed at the KOA in Cherokee. Nice place and pretty close to what you want to see. A lot to do in the whole area. Enjoy Larry
Larry,Brenda,Travis,Jarred & MEME the Boston Terror:E TheBunch 2011 American Coach Revolution 42T:C The Double Wide

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
You do know the BRP doesn't go into Tenn?
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Unless you enjoy slow riding, the BRP is not the place to ride a motorcycle. Very few places to pass, slow vehicles which you need to wait to pass.

You may be more interested in the Great Smokey Mtn National Park. Something in the Townsend, TN may work well for you. It would put you about an hour away from the Tail of the Dragon and an hour from the southern end of the Parkway up 441, about 30 minutes from Gatlinburg. Then for your wife, lots of small towns between Townsend, Seiverville, and Knoxville.

Now if you really want BRP, try something in the TN/NC area, may want to look at Creekwood Farm. From there you can take Hwy 276 or 215 up to the BRP about an hour away. Your wife can shop in Waynesville, Cherokee, Sylva, or Dillon, Asheville, all within an hour. Gatlinburg is a little over an hour away too. Thinking, this may be a better choice as it provide more shopping and gives several 3/4 day loops.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

LindaAnn
Explorer
Explorer
We like Maggie Valley--have stayed at Stonebridge RV Park several times.

You can get on the BRP a few miles west of town...and Cherokee is nearby.

There are some antique stores in Maggie Valley and in Waynesville, which is about 6 miles east of there.

Also, there's a motorcycle museum in Maggie Valley.

And...if you like waterfalls, there are lots of them in Transylvania County, NC--nice for a day trip.