cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wilson State Park (Michigan)

reinita
Explorer
Explorer
We are here now and have mixed feelings.
Couldn't find much info about this park before we came, so sharing our experience here for others.
Was very disappointed when we drove up to see that the CG is right next to a busy road. We can even see a gas station from our site. Yuck. There are a lot of trees but none really providing enough buffer from the road noise.
The park itself is very nicely cared for. The roads are paved. The grounds are clean. There is a basketball court and a sand volleyball court.
The beach is small, but sandy with few rocks so no problem for swimming. It's an all-sports lake, so lots of speedboats and people tubing or waterskiing.
We did see a bald eagle, which was cool.
The bathrooms are old and mostly clean, but there were only two showers and there was a line every time I was there. Plus, both showers share a slow-moving drain. Yuck.
The staff has been very friendly and helpful. The CG hosts spent a lot of time with crafts, which we appreciated. We also got to go on a hayride.
There is electric, but no hook ups. The dump station looked clean but small.
I would only stay here again if we could book a site facing the lake and away from the road. We didn't even have a fire because we felt like we were camping on our street back home.
Again, just sharing our observations. Wish we'd had more info before booking.
Forest River Sunseeker 3170 bunkhouse. We travel with a Leonberger, a 22-year-old, 19-year-old and 12-year-old.
3 REPLIES 3

stetwood
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest that you post at the ;rvparkreviews. It has 189389 User submitted reviews online!!

reinita
Explorer
Explorer
South Higgins Lake State Park is one of our favorites. I do wonder if there's a smaller fishing lake nearby. Anyone know? Thanks!
Forest River Sunseeker 3170 bunkhouse. We travel with a Leonberger, a 22-year-old, 19-year-old and 12-year-old.

bimbert84
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the review.

Next time you're in the area, you might want to give either of the Higgins Lake State Parks a try. The South Side is (much) larger but has some sites on the lake if you're lucky enough to get one. The North Side is smaller and less crowded. Both have nice places to swim.

-- Rob
2013 F-150 SCREW 4x4, 3.5L Ecoboost, 3.73, 7650# GVWR, 1826# payload
2004 Springdale 295BHL, 31'5", 7300# loaded
Hensley hitch