cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winterizing a jetted bath tub.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
From what I can see, all lines slope down to the intake point so I'm guessing the tub is self draining (including pump) which should mean I don't need to do anything. Is this correct, or is there more to it?

First time I've ever had one of these that will sit cold during the winter.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.
13 REPLIES 13

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
If you are heating the basement heat rising through the floor should keep the main floor above freezing most or all of the time. If the tub is against an outside wall you might leave the access panel off so more heat gets to the plumbing. I also leave the base cabinet doors open under the sinks to get more heat to the plumbing.
pawatt

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
cjoseph wrote:
Are you leaving the heat on to the house at say 55 or so or are you turning that off?...

Will be turning off the heat completely to the main living level, and only heating the basement. Where I live is mostly clay and we get some extreme cold during the winter. Basement walls suffer when the heat is totally turned off allowing the frost to penetrate deep into the ground causing frost heaving.

Honestly, the more I look at that jetted tub, the more I'm thinking that there is not going to be an issue. Everything slopes down to drain and the pump suction line slopes down also. The inlet into the pump is at the very base of the pump, so any water left would be minimal at best.

My prior place I would completely turn off, but it was designed to do that. Didn't have any of these "toys" that could hide water and freeze.

cjoseph
Explorer
Explorer
Are you leaving the heat on to the house at say 55 or so or are you turning that off?

You could run some heat tape into the area. If used indoors in an enclosed area, the electricity use shouldn't be that bad through the winter. A heat tape with integrated thermostat probably wouldn't cycle on that much. The temp would have to drop down, then the heat tape would warm the space up quick and cycle it back off.

I lived in a trailer for a year and ran heat tape from the ground up into the trailer. We were just starting out in life and maintaining two residences for work reasons, so money was tight. I don't recall that electric bill being too awful high.
Chuck, Heidi, Jessica & Nicholas
2013 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Hiring someone else to do it is probably the smart way to go. I'm just not at that point in my life.

I like to attempt to be self sufficient as much as I can, for as long as I can. Especially on things that do not require physical strength of a young person.

JW_of_Opechee_S
Explorer
Explorer
I have a local plumbing company do everything, Have antifreeze in the baseboard heat, they take apart dishwasher, clothes washer, and whirlpool: anything with a pump and the ice maker. Only cost $250.00 and then the come back a few days before
we get home and flush the system and get it up and running; checking for any breaks or problems for another $200.00 for me no hassle no worry.
Have Fiver will travel with little or no notice at all. I do need to stop at rest areas now and then:)

Superbee_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I just looked at mine and the lines to the jets are about 2" in diameter. So if you pour some in the jets with a funnel, it will take a good amount for each jet. Most whirlpool tubs have some access to the pump and the trap but it sure wouldn't be fun to try to get to a jet line on the back side if it froze!!!!

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
pawatt wrote:
I use a funnel and dump some RV antifreeze in each jet, run the pump and then refill each jet and hope for the best. Not sure if this gets the water out of the pump but no problems yet and we do have minimal heat to the bathroom.

That's funny, I just finish doing exactly that as a test run, but not real sure if that is going to be enough. Kinda looks like it should be though from what I can see with the flashlight since everything slops down for self draining.

There is a small baseboard electric heater in the bathroom. Maybe I'll just close the door and set it as low as it can go. For some odd reason I don't feel real good about that option (don't know exactly why, just seems like a bad idea.)

The other way is there is a fairly large hole for the drain to go through to the basement. Maybe the escaping heat (once I pull the insulation away) coming up from the basement into the underside of the tub surround (and your trick) will be enough.

That jetted tub is shoe horned in, which will make repairing it a hard job in the spring. There must be some water in those jetted tubs since I got some nasty stuff coming out with the RV antifreeze like SuperBee stated.

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
I use a funnel and dump some RV antifreeze in each jet, run the pump and then refill each jet and hope for the best. Not sure if this gets the water out of the pump but no problems yet and we do have minimal heat to the bathroom.
pawatt

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Superbee Jim wrote:
I have 2 Jacuzzi brand tubs and they both DONT completely self drain. If you don't use the whirlpool part of the tub for a while, and then use it, you will swirl around old stale water and then I have to use dishwasher soap to clean it. I have looked at tubs in the store and was shocked to see the water jet lines with ups and downs as it was done by the factory. The only way I would leave it for the winter without heat is to take off the inlet screen and with the pump running, pour a couple of gallons of RV antifreeze in or more until I saw the pink antifreeze coming out of ALL the jet outlets.

WOW, I was hoping for something more like turn on the pump for 20 seconds. Going to have to rethink this, unless someone else has a better way. Thanks for the heads up.

Superbee_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 Jacuzzi brand tubs and they both DONT completely self drain. If you don't use the whirlpool part of the tub for a while, and then use it, you will swirl around old stale water and then I have to use dishwasher soap to clean it. I have looked at tubs in the store and was shocked to see the water jet lines with ups and downs as it was done by the factory. The only way I would leave it for the winter without heat is to take off the inlet screen and with the pump running, pour a couple of gallons of RV antifreeze in or more until I saw the pink antifreeze coming out of ALL the jet outlets.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
I assume your turning the heat completely off?

For that area yes. Now that you know that can you add to the subject?

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
dup

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
I assume your turning the heat completely off?