cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wytheville Virginia KOA

jimmyriley
Explorer
Explorer
I made reservations late for Memorial day weekend and now understand why the only KOA, in the entire state Virginia, had open sites. This is my 7th trip in our Trailer am disappointed with this location, as far as site size. Extremely close together. I called to verify they have fire rings on the sites and they do. Issue is, they are portable type and the size of a frying pan. I have seen no level sites on my walk around and in order to unhitch my trailer, I had to buy put 8 inches of wood under both of my front truck tires to get it level enough just to unhitch. Associates are friendly. They have fun activities for the kids. Maybe others have had better luck here.

I will perservere and make this an awesome 4 day trip. After all, Camping is a chance to get away and relax.
Jim
07' Trailblazer SS
12' Ram Laramie 4x2 w/ 5.7
12' Cougar 29RBK
18 REPLIES 18

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
We met the new owners last Labor Day. They are very nice and said the same thing to us about consolidating some sites, adding some others, paving etc. However, they also planned to do this during this past off season so maybe they had to push it back until after this season. We like the campground as it has a very nice pool with a slide and our 10 and 6 year old love it. We also stay right across from the pool in site 48 I think. they are FHU back in sites and very deep. We are right next to a cabin so we have plenty of room. There are tight sites in the CG for sure(I don't like the pull throughs at all) but in general the CG is nice. We are going back for 3 nights in July. If you don't need FHU they have very big back in sites directly in front of the restrooms.

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like good news. When owners decide they no longer want a park, it shows.

jimmyriley
Explorer
Explorer
Spoke with the owner today. Just acquired 8 months ago and planning to do lots of renovations. Widen the extremely close sites, add additional Pull thru sites, add additional sewage lines, and ensure most of the sites will be re-leveled. Will start after this years season in the fall. the owners are extremely friendly as well as the staff. He offered to assist me when we leave to hitch up my trailer by providing me wood boards to put under my front tires so the truck will be level with the trailer. If the new owner does what told me, will be a great improvement and I will return.
Jim
07' Trailblazer SS
12' Cougar 29RBK

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
^ My experience was nowhere near that bad, it just wasn't one I've gone back to. Some would probably have no issue with that KOA.

retired4fun2002
Explorer
Explorer
My first, last and only, experience with that KOA goes back to mid-November '04, We pulled in there, it was pouring rain, colder than all get out. The woman at the desk acted like she was doing us a favor waiting on us. You can imagine the line in mid November, waiting to get to this craphole. After charging for a extra car, telling us all kinds of junk, we were given a site.......it reminded me of an old outdoor theater converted. There was one other TT in there - and this dummy at the desk put us right next to the only other camper!! Well guess what, the bathhouse was closed, along with their toilets............what a crappy place. We spent the night and swore we would never go back and would put nothing but bad words on it..........done!! Tool bad someone with an interest in camping don't come in and buy the joint, fix it up the way it should be, and the campers would gladly come. Safe travels.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Robin1953 wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
Stclairm wrote:
Wasn't thrilled at that one either. There's new CG not too far from there called Pioneer Campground. Very new and one of the campers here at Fancy Gap KOA swears by it. Pioneer Village CG

what is the actual address of that place so I can find it. the map shown doesnt even list it.
bumpy

Pioneer Village Campground
PO Box 752
3627 E. Lee Hwy.
Max Meadows, VA 24360

276-637-3777

thanks
bumpy

Robin1953
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
Stclairm wrote:
Wasn't thrilled at that one either. There's new CG not too far from there called Pioneer Campground. Very new and one of the campers here at Fancy Gap KOA swears by it. Pioneer Village CG

what is the actual address of that place so I can find it. the map shown doesnt even list it.
bumpy

Pioneer Village Campground
PO Box 752
3627 E. Lee Hwy.
Max Meadows, VA 24360

276-637-3777
2015 Grand Design Solitude 320X
2016 Ram 3500 DRW and Cummins

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Stclairm wrote:

bumpy

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
jimmyriley wrote:
I made reservations late for Memorial day weekend and now understand why the only KOA, in the entire state Virginia, had open sites. This is my 7th trip in our Trailer am disappointed with this location, as far as site size. Extremely close together. I called to verify they have fire rings on the sites and they do. Issue is, they are portable type and the size of a frying pan. I have seen no level sites on my walk around and in order to unhitch my trailer, I had to buy put 8 inches of wood under both of my front truck tires to get it level enough just to unhitch. Associates are friendly. They have fun activities for the kids. Maybe others have had better luck here.

I will perservere and make this an awesome 4 day trip. After all, Camping is a chance to get away and relax.
Don't forget to post a review at rvparksreview.com.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
yep, Ft. Chiswell was the place I changed to. and at that time if you had a KOA discount card they would give you the discount. and IIRC you sort of miss the mess getting off for the KOA.
bumpy

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jim Shoe wrote:
At the next exit (80) is Ft. Chiswell RV Park. Plenty of room between sites, FHU, and since they're just over the hill, there's no noise from I77/I81. Last time I stopped there, I couldn't pick up cable. The owner drove to my site with a TV and checked the coax. The problem was my coax run inside the RV. That's kind of above and beyond the call of duty.

Double ditto. We have been very pleased with the Ft. Chiswell. Good people and great pastures and quiet, except when the cows are lowing which doesn't bother us at all.

jimmyriley wrote:
I made reservations late for Memorial day weekend
Perhaps the OP should consider making his reservations earlier. Learning curves are what they are.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I used to stay there on every trip south. seemed decent to me. IIRC you can get the restaurant to deliver to your RV. Have since started stopping at a park about 10-20 North of there however.
bumpy

jimmyriley
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Shoe: I have only stayed at KOA's and never had a problem. I had a tough time finding a place to stay due to the holiday weekend and my error for not reserving sooner. I will look at other parks next time.

Thanks,
Jim
07' Trailblazer SS
12' Cougar 29RBK