cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1980's decor

Planedenn
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know where else to post this since it's a question but if it's moved please tell me where you move it to.
We have a 1983 C class with a very 1983 brown and flower decor my wife has developed a hatred for. So here's the question. What type of paint would be best to cover the flowery wallpaper? We thought exterior latex paint would be best but before starting I'd like to here some options
7 REPLIES 7

Sturgeon-Phish
Explorer
Explorer
Scrub the walls especially around the stove and shower and vanity area to remove grease, soap film and hair spray residue. KilZ is a good idea and use a good primer, not just regular paint, tinting the primer helps too. Then go with a very washable paint, avoid flats, and paint away. Anyting will look better than the brown orange and yellow flowers from the '80's.
Jim
2003 GMC 3500 crew dually. Transfer Flow 50g aux tank; ISSPRO gauges, PPE boost valve, air box mods, stock exhaust w/o muffler, Line-X, Pace Edwards bed locker power tonneau. B&W Companion. Pulls a '05 Wildcat 31QBH 5th wheel

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
robatthelake wrote:
Start with Kill Z ! Then paint it with whatever You want!

Good suggestion, but make sure none of the wallpaper is coming off. Painting over wallpaper used to be common when wallpaper was in vogue.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
NCWriter wrote:
Probably 2015 RVs will come out with the latest thing - brown and flower decor - right after you finish the job.

Ha ha ha... I was just thinking the same thing. For the love of everything holy, I pray that doesn't happen. I grew up in 70's and 80's campers. They were HORRIBLE! Thick scratchy fabrics in dark greens and browns... ugh...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Planedenn
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty much what I have in mind too ๐Ÿ™‚

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Probably 2015 RVs will come out with the latest thing - brown and flower decor - right after you finish the job.

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
Start with Kill Z ! Then paint it with whatever You want!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Conventional wall paper is usually primed and then painted. Vinyl coverings are usually the same, prime and paint. The finish paint can be any type but a good quality interior latex would be my suggestion. The newer ceramic additive paints are quite durable and may fit the application well.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton