cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Adding a hdmi cable to rear TV

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at a 1999 Southwind 32V and I know if we buy it I will be upgrading the TVs to flat panels and the VCR to a BlyRay player. In order to play a BluRay on the rear TV I will need the cable and a HD splitter box.

I have this setup in our Bounder and it was a PITA to install. I have read that some rigs have enough space in the overhead to fish in the cable. Is this possible in a Southwind or does it have to go under or in a wall/chase?

The DW and DGKs are so happy with the way the flat panel sets work and being able to use the antenna, park cable and BluRay in different combination without much fuss and the new larger sets I installed in place of the old 13" CRT sets make everyone's watching more enjoyable. I know they will want the same upgrade if we buy the Southwind.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II
6 REPLIES 6

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
A quality HDMI cable can easily run 75ft
Wireless is a solution ... However I have found it to be problematic at times with Interference and Reliability issues - additionally you will need to power both transmitter and receiver
A simple 1x2 HDMI DA aka splitter (it will require power, many times 12Vdc) can be found on Amazon / Ebay for less then $10.00 - A quality 50ft HDMI cable for less than $20.00. IMO a hardwired installation is far superior to a wireless connection.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Though some are expensive, there is also HDMI wireless devices.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Roy, I knew someone had mentioned something about this.

As far as a second player in the back, what happens when someone in the back wants to watch the same show that is playing in the front. Maybe with the couch and dinette there would be enough room for the four of us in the SW but not in our Bounder.

HDMI cables of very high quality are good for at least 50 feet and with an amplifier much further. In the Bounder the cable is 35'. A powered splitter however is a necessity when you have one input and two outputs. The splitter I bought has the pass through feature, maybe all of them do but I only use the splitter when playing a video disc.

The cost of the cable and the splitter were less that a decent BluRay player would be. Installation was a bear in the Bounder but should be much easier if RoyB is correct.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
The easiest path we found for getting from the front area to rear area of the trailers was to run down the ceiling air conditioner foam ducts.

Easy access on both ends as there is usually a ceiling mounted cabinet near-by.

I just dropped all of the air conditioner vents along the way and fished my wiring from vent to vent. These are usually just six feet apart going down the center of the trailer.

Just be sure to patch where you entered the foam ducts with expanding foam sealant to prevent the engineered air conditioner air pressure to remain the same.

I have VIDEO and RG cables for my Ham Radio running through my air conditioner foam ducts...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on a second BluRay player, way easier and better. Even if you could run an HDMI cable the signal would probably be poor at that length.
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
While I apologize that I do not have an answer to your question, wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to install a 2nd BluRay player in the bedroom?
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?