cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Advice finetuning generator exhaust noise

wildwest2
Explorer
Explorer
I own a Onan Microquiet 4000 which I am extremely happy with. I have it roof mounted in a custom soundproof enclosure and for a generator it's size, I'm pretty sure this is the quietest unit I've ever "not" heard. The only noise that can be heard from more than 20 feet is the popping noise and general exhaust coming from the stock muffler and tailpipe. Now, I understand this is totally acceptable by most standards, but being that I'm some sort of anal retentive perfectionist (and an engineer by trade), I would like to find a way to reduce this tailpipe noise so that the final product is the same coming out of the back end of most any automobile. So here's my question: Seeing as I have enough room on my roof-rack to mount anything I like, is there any reason that adding a new automobile muffler off the tail end of the generator's exhaust pipe wouldn't eliminate this noise? I had two thoughts. One, simply fabricate an adapter so that the auto muffler would bolt to the end of the tailpipe or, weld a 16" section of 1-3/8" perf pipe to the end of the Generator's 1 3/8 tailpipe to break up the popping percussion and then mount the auto muffler over the perf pipe so that the perf pipe fits inside the muffler, sealed behind it. If anybody has had any experience with this, I'd sure love to hear your thoughts and/or ideas! Thanks.
10 REPLIES 10

MegaJohn
Explorer
Explorer
lawtonglenn wrote:
mikestock wrote:
Happy Prospector wrote:
The best way to quiet this machine is to install solar and hit the off switch.

Great Idea. How many solar panels and batteries would it take to keep a 15k air conditioner running around the clock?

You guys crack me up... too funny!

Happy Camping!
John.
Stock 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 MegaCab, 5.9L Cummins, Automatic, 2WD, Dually
- 30' 2006 Pilgrim Interntional travel trailer, dry weight ~7k pounds, GVWR ~9k pounds
- Husky weight distributing hitch, friction anti-sway control, electronic brake controller

wearenh
Explorer
Explorer
mikestock wrote:
Happy Prospector wrote:

Great Idea. How many solar panels and batteries would it take to keep a 15k air conditioner running around the clock?

2007 Gulf Stream 6211 (21' Shorty) Ford E350 V10
sometimes with #14 Racecar (18' KwikLoad Rollback)
sometimes with two gaited horses (Featherlite 9407)
sometimes just us camping with our dogs

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Happy Prospector wrote:

christopherglen
Explorer
Explorer
You could have the exhaust dump into a vented box, with the inside lined with high temp sound absorbing material.
On an air compressor I found most of the noise was the intake, putting a pipe on it with large and small diameter sections tended to smooth out the popping. Similar idea to a resonator.
2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
back pressure will damage the engine. being on the roof there is nothing to block the sound from travling in all directions . at least when it is on the ground or in a compartment the sound will travel but not everywhere. Why is your gen on your roof? You dont say the roof of what?
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the room, go for it. An auto muffler will have minimal back pressure (due to it being massively oversized compared to a generator one) and you have the room.

or-

You mention your generator is up on the roof. Depending on where the exhaust exits you might just be able to put some small "walls" around it with sound deadening. The top can be open as nobody is above it. Pretty simple and you could mock it up before committing to the real thing.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

Happy_Prospecto
Explorer
Explorer
Kevin
Retired, Fulltime RV'er, 1999.5 F350 4X4 CC Diesel Flatbed
2007 Alpenlite Defender Toyhauler, 2019 Polaris Ranger
Bob, the Yorkie Terrier helping me prospect til the money runs out

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had a friend put a motorcycle exhaust on his and I added a old VW tailpipe exhaust tip on mine.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Onan makes an add on resonator for this purpose- there have been positive remarks about them here.
-- Chris Bryant

jwicker
Explorer
Explorer
Could pointing the trailing end of the exhaust pipe upwards help?
====================
jwicker
Indiana, USA
1991 Skamper 23' TT
1983 Chevy K5 Blazer