cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Aerodynamics with build

Fischtravel
Explorer
Explorer
Hello! We are building a rough RV onto our trailer bed and wonder if you can help with some advice on what shape the front (by the hitch) should be? Weโ€™ll be towing behind a Honda Pilot and weโ€™re thinking of merely pitching the roof and stabilizing the wood joints with metal brackets. Driving out west-could get windy!! Thanks!
10 REPLIES 10

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
DrewE wrote:

If you've seen the trapezoidal pyramid folding structures on some semi trailers, that is why they're there. You can safely bet the trucking companies would not install them without their saving enough fuel to make them pay over time.

And youโ€™d lose that bet.
The reason those clunky pieces of junk are there is because the government requires them and other devices on truck fleets above a certain size.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't think aerodynamics will make much difference in MPG because the tow vehicle is in front of the trailer and the square back of the tow vehicle would create a fair amount of turbulence anyway. I would built it to maximize space and other features you want and not worry about what ever small gains in MPG that you could get from maximizing the aerodynamic design.

Fischtravel
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you. I think weโ€™re gonna try a trapezoid shape. And thank you for the extra tips of weight distribution hitch and sway bars. Iโ€™ll post pics when we start next week!!

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
If by aerodynamics you're meaning mainly in terms of air resistance when towing, as opposed to other considerations like stability in sidewinds, then pay at least as much attention to the back as to the front as a lot of the drag comes from there. A rounded front and a long pointy back, like a teardrop, is about the best overall form. Of course a tapering back cuts into the usable space inside quite a bit.

If you've seen the trapezoidal pyramid folding structures on some semi trailers, that is why they're there. You can safely bet the trucking companies would not install them without their saving enough fuel to make them pay over time.

Not a trailer,but fine example of aerodynamics,,wish someone built such RV should get pretty decent mpg..

https://goo.gl/images/4hJcwt

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
If by aerodynamics you're meaning mainly in terms of air resistance when towing, as opposed to other considerations like stability in sidewinds, then pay at least as much attention to the back as to the front as a lot of the drag comes from there. A rounded front and a long pointy back, like a teardrop, is about the best overall form. Of course a tapering back cuts into the usable space inside quite a bit.

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
you may get some ideas here home built camper

Fischtravel
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your responses!! The pilot can tow 3500pounds and the trailer is 12 feet long. I believe itโ€™s 6 feet across. We were thinking of marking essentially a shed or A frame with pitches roof for aerodynamics but this is a first for us.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
The simplest thing in my opinion would be to run the front wall flat until you reach the roofline of the Pilot and then 45 back to the final roof height.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
How much weight can a Honda Pilot tow behind it?

What size length & weight is the trailer bed?
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
There is a few comments here you might want to look at carefully. Honda Pilot towing

No matter what, it always feels more comfortable with something that is 80% of the limit rather than at the limit, or stuffed even over the limit.

Lot's to consider with a cross country trip loaded with many treasured things.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel