cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

anyone extend the height of their bed lift?

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
My bed lifts are 21" (the standard I think) and work. The problem is that I need to stoop and bend to get under the supported mattress.
Has anyone installed longer lifts on the bed for easier access? If so, where did you find the lifts?
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad
8 REPLIES 8

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Perhaps this may help? Hatchlift kit

You *can* relocate the strut mounting points closer to the hinges but there may not be enough force to keep the bed in the raised position. There are other spring rates available though if your existing ones aren't quite enough. I think you would need to set up new strut mounting points and strut lengths so you don't end up with one end in the pass-through storage space.

Lots of online sources for the lift struts such as:
RVPartscountry

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
It may be as easy as moving the bracket on the fixed part of the bed closer to the hinge. Assuming of course the gas spring has enough room left for compression w/o jamming.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Hatchlift.com. Great service. I used them for the lift kits I put on our baggage doors.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
My wife added a 3 in mattress topper that was heavy and the struts were not strong enough to hold the bed up. I moved the attach points forward to make the bed easier to lift which also added greater height to the bed opening.

Tango__AE7UI
Explorer
Explorer
We added another mattress on top of the original to gain height to make it easier for the wife to get in and out of bed.
That required struts with stronger lifting capacity; the length remained the same.
2007 Tango 2660RKS Fifth Wheel, 2006 Chevy D/A 3500 with service body,

Leonandlisa
Explorer
Explorer
I bought longer struts for my bed at

http://stores.ebay.com/liftsupportsdepot/

I needed the bed to be as high as possible to get my ranger inside my trailer without removing the roll bar. I bought new struts, it was just over $100 for all 4 but now I am able to have it high for loading but still low when in use. I also had to realign the front guide bars so that it stayed in the track at the top to the bottom. I didnt have them set correctly the first time so it came out of the guide track, it was a major chore to get it all back together.

Hope this helps.

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
Most any auto parts stores have different lengths of struts.
cpaulsen

wagonmaster2
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent question. As we get older it gets harder to get down and under the bed. Will be watching for any responses you might get.