cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

carpet removal

catmancando
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Folks! We have a 28' Sunnybrook Sunset Creek and would like to remove the carpet from the slide. If we do this will there be a gap between the slide and the floor of the trailer? And can I cover the floor and the slide with vinyl. :?
12 REPLIES 12

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
My slide is just like yours, slightly above the main floor with that carpet flap as transition. I don't have a solution yet, but will post when I figure it out. My be next year at this rate....

ronfisherman
Good luck with finding a way to get away with carpet in the Slide. I have seen some pictures in advertising for high end MH's that looks good. But I think a special slide is needed.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ron, the flooring looks nice, but you left the carpeting on the slide out...I'd like to find a way to run the Allure on the slide and somehow deal with the transition flap. Any ideas?

ronfisherman
tailgate_CLE wrote:
Hello Everyone.

Today I purchased my first RV.

It is a 1983 Ford Class C, which my friends and I will be using to tailgate at Browns games this fall.

I want to remove the carpet because it's old and we would prefer a floor surface that is easier to clean.

Is stripping out the carpet a good idea?

If so, how should I treat the underlying floor which I'm assuming is plywood.

Thanks!

You should not have a problem removing the carpet. Does your RV have slide? If it does not. That will make it even easier.
Here are pictures of my install of Home Depot Allure.

tailgate_CLE
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Everyone.

Today I purchased my first RV.

It is a 1983 Ford Class C, which my friends and I will be using to tailgate at Browns games this fall.

I want to remove the carpet because it's old and we would prefer a floor surface that is easier to clean.

Is stripping out the carpet a good idea?

If so, how should I treat the underlying floor which I'm assuming is plywood.

Thanks!

ronfisherman
G and D wrote:
I need to replace my carpet in my 97 Conquest. I am concerned it may have been glued down. Do manufacturers usuall glue or staple? If glued down what is the best way to remove and stuck backing material?

Our 2004 GS carpet and vinyl flooring were not glued down. Not sure what they did in 97.

G_and_D
Explorer
Explorer
I need to replace my carpet in my 97 Conquest. I am concerned it may have been glued down. Do manufacturers usuall glue or staple? If glued down what is the best way to remove and stuck backing material?

catmancando
Explorer
Explorer
Ok thats the answer I needed my slide drops when it extends so I guess I'll think about it some more thanks for the info jim :h

ronfisherman
If you have a flush slide that drops down when slide is fully extended it will be difficult to cover the transition area with anything but carpet.
If your slide has a platform you can cover it with flooring.

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just finished a major repair and renovation of our MH which included removing the carpet from the bedroom, passenger/entry steps and under the driver's seat. I also pitched the uncomfortable sleeper sofa, pulled the carpet off the slide and extended the slide platform to accommodate a recliner.

I learned a "couple" of things. They lay the carpet before putting in cabinets, beds and appliances. You have to use a razor knife and cut the carpet from around things. They use a million staples and the carpet hides a lot of gaps and unsquare corners. Most of my carpet had a pad as well as the carpet and left some rather large gaps after removal. I did put down subfloor to make up the difference. Be prepared for some creative trim work. In the bedroom, I had to put a piece of quarter round between the floor and the bottom of the slide to fill a big gap when the slide was out.

I put down the Allure Ultra although it says not for RV use. I have a contractor friend who did his MH with it and has not had issues. Others on the forum have used Allure with no problems. The consensus seems to be that since the runs are short compared to a house size room the shrinking and expanding from temperature is minimal. I also used silicon under the flooring on the advise of my contractor friend who said it will allow the floor to move.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

catmancando
Explorer
Explorer
looking wood grain laminates or tile

Cuffs054
Explorer
Explorer
Cat, good ? I would like to find out also. What type of flooring are you looking at?