cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DC Wiring question

Gaffer222
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to install a DC Digital Voltmeter/Dual USB 2 Port/DC12V Power Socket Three Hole Panel.

Can anyone answer if these should be wired in series or parallel?

Moderator edit to re-size pictures to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

2007 Ford Expedition Limited w/Tow package & 3.73 Rear end
Equal-i-zer & Prodigy
2015 Keystone Outback Terrain 250TRS
DW, DD Circa 2002, DD Circa 2005
11 REPLIES 11

TT_Tim
Explorer
Explorer
the end table:

TT_Tim
Explorer
Explorer
I built this panel to go in my end table:

RTBabich
Explorer
Explorer
4x4van wrote:
... Actually, the only downside to the USB section is that the LED is bright and on all the time. I mounted it inside a cabinet, so it's not an issue, but it would be annoying at night otherwise. ...

A little dot of black electrical tape over the LED might work.
Did same thing on an old movie camera over the red RECORD light so
people wouldn't know when the camera was on.
2009 Weekend Warrior, FB2100, 23ft, 7.5k, Maxxis ST225/75R15, Dexter EZ Flex, Equalizer 10k

gcvt
Explorer
Explorer
4x4van wrote:
I bought the single, USB unit and installed it in my RV. The "parasitic" draw is negligible if you are not charging anything; just a single small LED, and likely much less than the 12VDC meter's multiple LED segments. Actually, the only downside to the USB section is that the LED is bright and on all the time. I mounted it inside a cabinet, so it's not an issue, but it would be annoying at night otherwise. Personally, I love having the double USB port; no more bulky cell chargers plugged in every available outlet!

I recently installed three dual-USB outlets in our Class B - two on the dash and one in the back. The one in the back is the same unit pictured above but without the battery monitor. I installed a separate dual battery monitor in the rear of the van. All three USB outlets had blue LEDs which are a nightmare, so I just drilled them out and killed them.

All three USBs and the cigarette lighter should have no draw. Then I put the backlit dual battery monitor on a toggle switch - don't really need it on unless I'm there looking at it anyway. However, even with the dual battery monitor's back light on, the manufacturer claims it only draws 12ma. Figured 0 was better than 12. At first I was just going toggle switch the backlight.

Either way, we use the dual USBs a lot! So handy. iPhones, iPads, rechargeable bluetooth speakers, 12v white noise machine, etc.
2003 Ford E250 Sportsmobile EB10

12thgenusa
Explorer
Explorer
Gaffer222 wrote:
westend wrote:
I'd install it. Just use a switch and two wires for the USB portion. Or double that to include the meter but I bet the meter doesn't use 200 ma.

Specs say the meter draws 10ma

That's only .24 Ah per day or 1.7 Ah per week. Negligible.

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7, Alcan custom rear springs, 2009 Cougar 245RKS, 370 watts ET solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron SmartSolar 100/30, 200AH LiP04 bank, ProWatt 2000.

Gaffer222
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
I'd install it. Just use a switch and two wires for the USB portion. Or double that to include the meter but I bet the meter doesn't use 200 ma.

Specs say the meter draws 10ma
Equal-i-zer & Prodigy

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
I bought the single, USB unit and installed it in my RV. The "parasitic" draw is negligible if you are not charging anything; just a single small LED, and likely much less than the 12VDC meter's multiple LED segments. Actually, the only downside to the USB section is that the LED is bright and on all the time. I mounted it inside a cabinet, so it's not an issue, but it would be annoying at night otherwise. Personally, I love having the double USB port; no more bulky cell chargers plugged in every available outlet!
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

westend
Explorer
Explorer
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Gaffer222
Explorer
Explorer
Decided not to install in the same location and also not to install the USB. Don't want the parasitic draw when dry camping. Here are some pics. Apparently Keystone decided we don't need a 12 volt charging outlet anymore?

Equal-i-zer & Prodigy

Gaffer222
Explorer
Explorer
Bucky Badger wrote:
12thgenusa wrote:
Parallel of course. You want 12v going to each device.

^^this.

That looks like a nice unit Gaffer222 ...Source link?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MODXVO8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1#Ask
Equal-i-zer & Prodigy

12thgenusa
Explorer
Explorer
Parallel of course. You want 12v going to each device.

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7, Alcan custom rear springs, 2009 Cougar 245RKS, 370 watts ET solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron SmartSolar 100/30, 200AH LiP04 bank, ProWatt 2000.