cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

a different way to carry bikes

tbiker99
Explorer
Explorer
I searched for the best way to carry bikes in a camper. In my old camper I used fork mounts over my dinette. In my new camper I have a bunk that I don't need. I removed the couch and the bunk, installed a few supports, stained some plywood and installed some racks I got online. I could have put the bikes outside, but with semi-expensive bikes I didn't want them exposed to the all the road grime and other elements. I searched for anyone else who may have done this and didn't find any pictures. Maybe this is a plan for someone else. The stain matches better in person than in the picture. Hope this works.

Moderator edit to re-size picture to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

2006 Chevy Duramax,4x4 Crew Cab
Big Country 3494QBS
9 REPLIES 9

gijoecam
Explorer
Explorer
Nice job!

I have a co-worker who had 9 to take. He used to do basically the same thing, but they would go in the aisle, right on the floor. He had fork mounts on a 2x6 that was attached to a piece of plywood cut to a space on the floor that it kind of wedged into and didn't move. He could have three bikes facing each way, essentially nose-to-nose and they stayed upright without scooting around that way. (The other three were smaller and bungee-corded to the others)

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice. We're also tossing the idea of transporting bikes inside, but it would need to be removable. We have 6 bikes we need to transport, so out options are limited and there's no unused space in our trailer.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

tbiker99
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. As for how hard is it to get the bikes in the camper? It isn't any harder than putting bikes on a roof rack. And it is much easier than what I did in my old camper, where I had to take the cushions out of the dinette and the wheels off the bikes, and I had to do it every time we set up whether or not I was going to use the bikes. Here's my old set-up. I've posted this before.
2006 Chevy Duramax,4x4 Crew Cab
Big Country 3494QBS

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Great idea and nicely executed!
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
As everyone said 'great idea'!
How is it getting the bikes in and out of the camper?
Loving wife and 2 beautiful daughters.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Hemi 5.7 with 3.92
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 290BHSL
ProPride 3P Hitch
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Love my Weber Q1200
Me a Happy man on retirement!!!

poncho62
Explorer
Explorer
TxTwoSome wrote:
Well that's thinking outside the box!:C Very nice install and a great idea!

Actually, its thinking inside the box........Great idea if you have the room

fatmanobx
Explorer
Explorer
Great use of not needed space..
2011 Lance 855
3.5# Minpin named Darcy RIP
Ford F250 Super Duty

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Good job! That will keep them clean and secure.
Thanks for sharing.

TxTwoSome
Explorer
Explorer
Well that's thinking outside the box!:C Very nice install and a great idea!
Bruce & Cindy (Chihuahua's Rambo & Chuy)
2016 Jayco 23RLSW
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Blue Ox SwayPro