cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dedicated charging station for phones, wifi, tablets

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
We just returned from a 3 1/2 week trip. I am tired of charge cords all over our little TT.

I am installing an additional 110 outlet in the corner of our " bedroom " area, out of the way of normal traffic. Plan to use some sort of power strip to handle multiple chargers ( camera battery, Wifi HS, phones, tablets ).

I am thinking power overload is not an issue with these multiple devices, would that be true?

Has anyone done this and if so do you have pics of what it looks like?

Thanks
37 REPLIES 37

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
This works for us. Three 120V outlets, 3 USB, and an automatic night light.

Clicky
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Nice Upgrade.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
I installed 3 of those dual USB ports in my RV; one on each side of the bed, and one in the dash. Easy install, and no need for 120VAC (shore, genset, or inverter). Makes no sense to me to convert 12vdc into 120VAC and then back down to 5vdc. That's like melting ice cubes to provide water for filling ice trays!:S
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
I have one of those 7 port charging docks, but yes the inverter must be on. This is an obvious downside for dry campers.

I tried a multi outlet USB thingy plugged into the power port on the dash (it is always on in our E450 motorhome) and blew the fuse. oops. Works fine to charge 2 iphones though.

Best solution for sure would be to install a few of those wall mounted USB ports posted above in strategic locations in the RV (bonus points for the little net idea, I like that!). It's on my 'to do' list, but until then we're just running the inverter 24/7 and taking the power hit.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have USB ports on each side of the bed, under the TV, and on the couch. so far it's been sufficient 🙂

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
smita wrote:
https://www.powerbanktalk.com/best-usb-multi-phone-charging-station-docking/
Looks like link is removed here is the non permalink

Clickable links are removed for posters with less than some number of postings--I think the magic threshold is ten posts. This is a spam prevention measure (as often spammers are trying to game Google page ranks by creating lots of diverse links to their site as anything).

There is nothing inherently "wrong" or "dangerous" with using an inverter to power a charger or charging station, it's just rather inefficient electrically, and electrical efficiency is a matter of no small concern for people who are camping without utility hookups. A 12V charger is more efficient overall and they are not at all hard to come by nor expensive.

I put a little direct-from-Asia one in my motorhome dash; it has two charge ports under a flip-top cover that houses a tiny (watch-sized) analog clock. Since I had no other dash clock that solved two problems at once.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
I installed a couple of these in the coach:

Blue Sea Dual USB Charger Socket
This is also the route I went. I installed a couple of them in out of the way places (but still near the dinette and bed, where they get used), then mounted netting next to them where the phone, tablet, etc. could be stored out of the way. The cable tucks in right next to the phone.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

smita
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.powerbanktalk.com/best-usb-multi-phone-charging-station-docking/
Looks like link is removed here is the non permalink

smita
Explorer
Explorer
I just recently found this device called Multiple device Charging Station and was doing some research when found this 7-Port Multi device charging station(AC). So basically inverter would be required. I am planning to install this in van now. Just curious to know if you guys are using alternate currents converters or is it harmful in anyway in the long runs.
***Link Removed***Interesting list of Multi device charging Stations I found while researching.

Also, Very interesting thing about this 7-port charging sation is I am actually using all 7 ports to charge my devices and every device is charging as normal as it would on wall chargers. I was expecting slow charging with so many devices at a time.

Disneyfix
Explorer
Explorer
I got this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009DCNP9O/ref=oh_details_o03_s02_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen that some of the new Thor coaches have dedicated "charging stations" for phones and tablets. I believe they had 4 ports and looked like a regular wall outlet. I was thinking of getting one of those.when I get my.class c
Proud father of a US Marine

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
rvten...I finished wiring the new outlet and am using the 6 outlet / 2 usb Belkins you linked. I found one for less than 20.00 at Home Depot of all places.

Now I need to find or build a shelf to hold the phones / tablets etc. 🙂

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
http://store.apple.com/us/product/HA703LL/B/belkin-six-outlet-surge-protector-with-21a-usb-charging?...
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

tahiti16
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:

This is the way to go especially if you want to boondock a lot, no los converting to 120 vac from 12 and then again when you convert back to 5vdc which is what a usb port runs at.
Ray, Cheryl & of course Miss Molly the four-legged child

2006 Dolphin 36' F53 V10 5 speed auto 2 slides 7.5 KW genset

sch911
Explorer
Explorer

OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad