cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DIY automatic transfer switch plans?

Wet_Coast
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, just wondering if any of our learned brethren have designed an automatic Xfer switch. I was an electrician in a past life, so i a not afraid to tinker and I do understand what codes and math are.

With the last rig, I did the manual switch over. This rig, I am, looking to be a little more civilized.

I searched the web and this site to no avail. Anyone out there accomplished this and willing to share a drawing and some pics?

Trailer has 30 amp single phase feed. can't do anything above that.

Thanks, Rick
04 3500 4X4 Auto Cummins QC
Onboard air, Air bags, Pac Brake
05 Cougar 244EFS, Flexair Pin Box, Dexter Equalizers
6x6v, 900watt, 60a Renology MPPT, 2200w Xantrex, 3500w IPower Genset
VA7RKC Advanced

Everything runs on smoke, don't let the smoke out
6 REPLIES 6

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Not an electrician but built my own transfer switch years ago complete with timed delay when they were $$$$$$$ Now it is cheaper to buy one than the parts!

Do not remember much of it so really cant help. You may be able to find some info on it at the bus conversion site??

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
The boss said โ€œI like our ATS just fine the way it is now. When we need to run off the generator, it automagically happens. How could it possibly get any better for me?โ€

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
RV transfer switch is just an open frame 30a 120v dpdt relay with a delay module and rectifier to run the coil on DC to avoid the hum.

link does not work but they are everywhere.

On your own to build the generator delay and rectifier but those should be easy. Or maybe unnecessary. Needs to be in a box.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Wet Coast wrote:

With the last rig, I did the manual switch over. This rig, I am, looking to be a little more civilized.

When my "transfer switch" failed, I replaced it with a socket in the power cord bay. Exactly the opposite of what you propose, if I read it right.

I don't see the need or even the desirability of a "transfer switch". If you are using shore power, you still are going to have to unplug from the pole and fold the cord back in the storage bay. If you plug it into a socket right then, you are "automatically" ready for the next generator run......or it is stored in a secure place waiting for the next shore power usage.....which will take about an extra two seconds (or less) when you pull the cord out.

What advantage do you intend to gain by spending this time and money ?
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Tom_M wrote:
A solution using two 120VAC DPDT relays

Link

ndrorder
Explorer
Explorer
Followed the same path, but found it was cheaper to purchase than to build. Post your needs (amperage, voltage, wattage), and someone will have a solution.