Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gutter for Sewer Hose

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,
I am setting up a seasonal site and want to use gutter instead of the slinky for my sewer hose. I see people who are using rain gutters but when I price them online they are over 100.00 for a 10 or 12 foot section. Is something other than normal household gutter being used or am I just not searching for the correct thing? I searched the forum and have been to both Home Depot and Lowe's web sites. I have not yet actually visited the store. Thanks.
bgbassman(bluegrass bass man)
14 REPLIES 14

bulletbob007
Explorer
Explorer
What i use are metal 2x4's. Same size as the wood ones but c shaped. Most lumber yards have it. The hose fits in it well.
Nice thing about it is that it will fit in the same square tube as your hose. I am use using the metal that goes on the ground and the top of the metal 2x4s. They are just slightly bigger than the vertical pieces. I also used them but they wouldn't fit in the storage tube with my rhino
Hose.
I am building some adjustable stands, but havent finished them yet.right now
i just set the channel on firewood,boxes or whatever fits.

Explorer II
Explorer II
penguin149 wrote:
K profile gutter

This what I use to cover my awning when rolled up....keeps the sun from baking it in between trips!
Excellent Idea
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

penguin149
Explorer
Explorer
1/2 round gutter

This is what I use for the sewer hose.

K profile gutter

This what I use to cover my awning when rolled up....keeps the sun from baking it in between trips!
2021 Nissan Titan Pro-4X 5.6L V8 4WD - 2019 Keystone Bullet 243BHS

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know where you are shopping,, but it is the WRONG place. 10' sections of plastic gutter are available at any Lowes, Home Depot, or most other home improvemtn store for about $4.oo for a 10' section. I carry two sections, one about 4' and the other about 6', and use whichever or both as needed. Also a few tie wraps help keep the pipe in the gutter.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree with the above posters who recommend using hard pipe instead of the slinky supported by whatever. The slinky takes a beating from the sun and becomes hard and brittle after a period of time. Also, the birds peck holes in it, the weed wacker guy cuts holes in it, and for some reason it always starts to leak after a while.

Our trailer spends the whole summer in our sons campground and I have it hooked up using rigid PVC pipe. Got everything at Lowes that is needed except for the fittings I already had for the slinky system.(picture #2)
The following pictures will show how it is hooked up. There is a rubber fitting that goes over the campground sewer pipe and reduces to the trailer pipe.(picture #3)
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for the replies. I think I'm going to do the 3" PVC pipe like some suggested here.

Cybergrunt
Nomad
Nomad
I've seen people use lengths of 6" diameter PVC pipe and just run the sewer hose through it. They married up the PVC pipe to drain outlet with what looked like zipties. Seemed like it worked well.
I carry a length of PVC pipe, split length-wise, to use as an support for underneath my sewer hose just to give it a gentle, predictable path to ground level.
2021 Forest River Wildwood Heritage Glen 24RLHL: 810-825# TW, ~7500# GVW
2020 F-250 XLT Super Duty SRW: 7.3 V8 gasser, 3.55, 10spd

bdpreece
Explorer II
Explorer II
wtmtnhiker wrote:
This is the style I prefer but as you see the cheapest price is 6.20 per foot so over 180.00 for 30' I have dual holding tanks one in front and one in rear so I figure I'll need at least 25'

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/4501226234176950130?q=rain+gutters&biw=1366&bih=638&dpr=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiU1bjujbTVAhWCOj4KHbEJDuEQ8wIIngMwCw

Read the specs again. Shows in fine print 10 foot for the $6.20 price
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II
they sale a adapter that clicks on and has pipe threads for a 3" pipe i would suggest hard pipe it in

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
This is the style I prefer but as you see the cheapest price is 6.20 per foot so over 180.00 for 30' I have dual holding tanks one in front and one in rear so I figure I'll need at least 25'

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/4501226234176950130?q=rain+gutters&biw=1366&bih=638&dpr=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiU1bjujbTVAhWCOj4KHbEJDuEQ8wIIngMwCw

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
Since it is a seasonal site, you may want to consider regular sewer pipe instead of the slinky.

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
Only gutters I have seen were used to support a sewer hose, not to replace it. Unless the gutter were somehow fitted with water and air tight fittings on each end I don't think they would be allowed.

Sorry if I was not clear, it is to support the hose in lieu of the slinky support

bdpreece
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is what I am using Plastic Gutter $7.98 for 10 feet. For support only of the normal 3 inch sewer hose. If you are looking to make a solid connection use PVC sewer pipe $10.26 for 10 feet then adapt it down to 3 inch at the RV connection.
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Only gutters I have seen were used to support a sewer hose, not to replace it. Unless the gutter were somehow fitted with water and air tight fittings on each end I don't think they would be allowed.