cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hinge of flip-up TV door

Mike_Leslie
Explorer
Explorer
We are considering a piano hinge on an upward opening cabinet door. We like the idea of mounting our new flat TV on this door and using a piano hinge. Having never used piano hinges, we have been doing internet research.

We would like the door to have about an inch overhang all around so the door would latch tightly against the frame. After watching a bunch of Youtube videos, they all talk about a 'swinging' type door with piano hinge.

We need some direction. How did you install your piano hinge so the door closed firm? What gauge piano hinge would be strong (extra strong) enough? Would another type of hinge be a stronger, better choice?

Obviously we are not cabinet makers but can do this. We removed the heavy old original TV. We have boxed in the 'new' storage space, insulated behind all the cab-over space. I am thinking of stapling carpet on the bottom up and around about a quarter of the way up. I am thinking it would be sound deadening and cover up where the floor/sides meet . What do you think?

Any suggestions, thoughts or ramblings on this topic are appreciated.
Mike Leslie
2003 Winnebago Minnie 29C
3 REPLIES 3

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a Class C and don't use the cabover as a sleeping area, you might want to consider something like this.

I have used this for several years and it has worked very well. The viewing angle is much better than in the old cabinet. We use the old cabinet for storage.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
I have replaced two heavy TVs using bi-fold door hinges, they caused 1/2 the gap of piano hinges on oak frames I made. The method of closure was a pair of draw latches on each side of the flip up panels. My cost was $3.00 each for the latches and $.50 each for the hinges at an RV salvage shop. I still plan to add lift "shocks" to each panel to more easily use the gained storage behind the TVs. My TV's have a 4" high pop out grilled panel across bottom of the cabinet to gain access to additional accessories that require remotes. By removing it I can reach the latches on the inside of the cabinet.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

Ductape_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
When I had my class A, I removed the old tv and secured a 26" flat screen tv to the wood trim that was in front of the old tv. I Then installed a piano hinge I bought from home depot between the box that housed the tv and the wood trim on the side, this way I could open the tv mounted trim and use the inside for storage of dvd movies. I guess the hinge was about 1-1/2" wide and was plenty strong enough. I don't think you will have a problem.
2016 Coachmen Clipper 17BH
2016 Toyota 4Runner SR5