cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Idea for filtered air into the RV

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Many people have MaxxAir/ Fantastic Fans. Along with the stock bathroom fan. Normally air must enter through the window drip vents and cracks at the door to replenish the air leaving the RV.

You could take a 4" automotive filter and use PVC pipe to route the filtered air into the RV. The picture shows 4" pipe, but i think you could reduce the 4" down to 2" so that you are only drilling a 2" hole into the floor of your rig.

To avoid confusion the picture shows a 4" filter attached to a 4" marine blower. I think you could skip the blower part and only use the filter. It would be nice to use a higher quality filter. This was just an ebay no name filter.

I put a little computer fan on my ceiling vent. Yesterday i was picking something up and my face was near the output pipe in my trailer. Was surprised how much air was coming through. Made me think that people with a high power MaxxAir vent could totally suck some nice filtered air into their rig.

18 REPLIES 18

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Nice tip using the display board template. Will store that into memory...hopefully.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Often being in areas with active wildfires, I understand the desire for cleaner air. I grab a pack of 12 X 32 MERV 16 (not quite as good as HEPA but good enough) air filters from the industrial supplier and they fit right in the window frame. I use the regular front ceiling exhaust fan set on 60% exhaust and that's enough to create a nice filtered air exchange in the RV. Of course with all the minor leakages in RV's, it's not a surgical suit, but it's cheap, easy and quick.

As an aside, if you don't want to mess with fitting a filter in the actual frame or can't find a size that fits snugly in your window, get a heavy duty foam display board and make a window template, cut the appropriate filter opening and just tape the filter to it. You can just press fit the foam broad in the opening and it should be good to go.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
This was my second attempt with the A/C filters. I know i made a thread and tried to find it. Not coming up in my archive search.

Its a cheap 12v automotive radiator fan stuck to a cardboard box with the A/C filter on the back. Worked ok. Definitely blew air and most of that air had to travel through the filter. Was just too loud. Pulled 6amps i think. Again it required the window to be open. Even with calm air out camping we kinda like everything closed up for privacy. I have a controller to turn it down. Did that for awhile. Then decided to try and grab air from under the trailer.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
The filters are not that smashed. I mostly wonder about dust that fell on them. They were sitting clean side up dang it.

I put my window filter back up just for kicks. It was my first filtration attempt years ago. Overall i just dont like having my window open. You can see the background is dirt. It rained today so thats nice moist dirt. Normally its dusty as can be.

The solution i thought was pretty cool is a filter hidden under the trailer. I went with positive cabin pressure but thats a whole different thread. This one is just an idea to hide a filter under the trailer. I think you could get away with 2" pipe. For guys who like DIY projects maybe it will inspire them to come up with something better.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are so many holes in a RV for air to come in it really is not going to make a bit of difference.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
wopachop wrote:
Funny timing i was cleaning the garage yesterday and came across my AC filters..... I hate throwing things away.

Those filters should be thrown away, they look all smashed and flattened.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
wopachop wrote:
For me the AC filter in the window approach had too many negatives. Mostly having to do with sound and privacy. Another big one is wind and dust.

There is indeed less sound coming through the roof vent than through the window, though the difference doesn't seem big to me. And there is a constant noise of the fan - hardly notable in daytime but you would hear it more in the night.

Wouldn't air filter in the window block the dust and TAD the wind too?

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Funny timing i was cleaning the garage yesterday and came across my AC filters. Brought them back into the trailer will find somewhere to store them. I hate throwing things away.

There are positives and negatives to everything. For me the AC filter in the window approach had too many negatives. Mostly having to do with sound and privacy. Another big one is wind and dust.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
exactly what is the OP trying to accomplish? to get filtered air into the RV just tape a filter , household allergy type, over your fantastic fan and reverse the flow.
If this is about the Corono virus, forget it.

oops, I see johno beat me to it.
bumpy

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Just get a allergy filter for a home HVAC system, open one window, and tape the filter over it. Maxxir or fantastc fan will pull outside air through it.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
wopachop wrote:
Many people have MaxxAir/ Fantastic Fans. Along with the stock bathroom fan. Normally air must enter through the window drip vents and cracks at the door to replenish the air leaving the RV.

Iโ€™m not sure what kind of chassis youโ€™re talking about, but most have massive air exchange capacity built in, both my E350 and F53 chassisโ€™s do.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I spent this winter in valley fever area, so I used a HEPA air filter machine in my van.

Rather than drawing air in from the outside, it recirculated the air within the van, and filtered it. As a bonus, it also circulated the warm air from the heater very well, and got rid of the smoke quickly when I burned a lamb chop ๐Ÿ™‚
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't think I would want to breathe the oils from that air filter.
There's a reason you don't see them in home HVAC systems.
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY