cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Installed 1500 Watt Inverter And POP

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
Ok got a 1500 watt Inverter , it came with 2 gauge wire and a ANL inline fuse.
Appears very good quality..

Ok read all the instructions , seems simple enough.
I feed the cables through the floor , route them over to where I have 2 batteries hooked up in parallel.

I check voltage to the inverter 13.1 .
Thinking that's ok , I turn the inverter on the display reads 13.0-12.9 voltage coming in.(nothing hooked up to it)
Then about 5 seconds POP and a little smoke comes out from the cooling fan and the front air gaps where if the fan was on the air would blow through.
Then the alarm goes off reading high voltage ????

I recheck everything installed just like what the directions read .
So I take one of the two batteries out of the equation and only have it hooked up to one battery check the voltage 12.9-13.0
Turn on the inverter again , no pop just alarm sound and display reading high voltage.

Do NOT have the engine running or have the shore power line plugged in either.
Any ideas ?
24 REPLIES 24

westend
Explorer
Explorer
If the inverter is installed such that it may be feeding existing 120v wiring in your coach, some inverters will smoke if the negative side of the 12v wiring is also connected to the neutral (white or ground) wire side of the coach's 120v system.

Most folks that read the above would interpret that the neutral, white, and ground are all the same. That is why you have been taken to task on the wiring explanation.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

grimmrlg
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
The negative of the 12v side should NEVER be connected to the neutral of the 120v side. It should be connected only to the ground of the 120v side.
True, and also, the neutral of your trailer's 120V system should not be bonded to ground. The "white" wire is not ground in the 120V wiring.

Agree, I meant to say White/Neutral and it is not connected to chassis ground in the coach, but when the power cord is plugged into a pedestal depending on the wiring of the park, the safety ground of the coach and the neutral (white) line may be connected and that is what causes the neutral of the interter to connect to the chassis ground and the negative 12v ground, frying the inverter if the inverter output is not isolated or switched.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
The negative of the 12v side should NEVER be connected to the neutral of the 120v side. It should be connected only to the ground of the 120v side.
True, and also, the neutral of your trailer's 120V system should not be bonded to ground. The "white" wire is not ground in the 120V wiring.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

grimmrlg
Explorer
Explorer
If the inverter is installed such that it may be feeding existing 120v wiring in your coach, some inverters will smoke if the negative side of the 12v wiring is also connected to the neutral (white or ground) wire side of the coach's 120v system. I've personally fried 2 inverters before I discovered this. If you want to feed inverter output to your 120v outlets, you must have a 2 pole transfer switch or relay to break both the hot and neutral legs of your coach's 120v system before connecting to the inverter output. There are some inverters that will tolerate this condition but they usually say they have "isolated" outputs.

Larryect
Explorer
Explorer
Because cheaper meters don't read true RMS

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Bob,

Many msw inverters give a false voltage reading.

Bob Vaughn wrote:
My 1000 watt inverter puts out 130 volts. When I saw that I do not plug anything into it...I do not know if it would drop down to 120 volts with a load attached or not....
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Homeless_by_Cho
Explorer
Explorer
Normal electrical devices are usually designed to operate in the range of plus or minus 10 percent or 108-132 VAC. Take a look at the name tags on appliances and power packs. Some will list the operating range.

LeRoy
Homeless by Choice
FULL TIMER since 2012
2015 Chevy 3500, Duramax, 4X4, DRW, Crew cab, Long bed
2013 Northern Lite 8'11"Q Sportsman truck camper
2015 Polaris RZR Side by Side

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
My 1000 watt inverter puts out 130 volts. When I saw that I do not plug anything into it...I do not know if it would drop down to 120 volts with a load attached or not....

Larryect
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/KRI%C3%8BGER%C2%AE-Inverter-outlets-notebook-cellphone/dp/B00DNL05GW/ref=sr_1_...

I suspect the one in the link is not true sine-wave because it doesn't state either way. Some items may not like that. But, it still should not have smoked if it was hooked up with the correct polarity and the output was not shorted. Probably just an internal failure of the unit.

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
Golden_HVAC wrote:
Make sure that your converter/charger is not being powered by the inverter! That can cause a excess amperage condition, and might overload the inverter, even though it says 'low voltage' - the condition might have been high amperage!

Best thing to do is try again, make sure the + and - terminals are right, and nothing is plugged into the inverter output. Check the inverter output voltage. If it still does not work, find another brand of inverter!

Good luck!

Fred.

I hooked it straight up to the batteries no converter in the equation at all.
Also did not have the shore line plugged in either.
Yes the + and - was hooked up properly , I tested + cable at the back of the inverter before I even turned it on. Had 13.1 at the connection.
So I turned it on and within 3-5 seconds a POP inside the inverter and burnt wire smelling smoke came out both ends.

I talked with a CS person and told what happened , I sent it back.

teejaywhy
Explorer
Explorer
Larryect wrote:
Once the smoke gets out, that's a bad sign.......

Yes, hard to get it back in.
The Yost Outpost
Gilbert, AZ
2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD, Duramax LBZ
2019 Nash 23D

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Looks like OP isn't ready to give it up.

No not ready to give it up , I just haven't been back on my thread here.
I don't know how to do those "clicky"
So here is the link from Amazon.
I just thought it was a good price considering the cables/ANL fuse link included.

http://www.amazon.com/KRI%C3%8BGER%C2%AE-Inverter-outlets-notebook-cellphone/dp/B00DNL05GW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1435103233&sr=8-3&keywords=power+inverter+1500+watt&pebp=1435103247796&perid=0GCMTA25XCY4CQJG8ZC6