cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just ordered the Progressive Dynamics PD4655V

TheWB
Explorer
Explorer
I expect it to arrive tomorrow. I'll swap out the existing WFCO 8955 DC board and converter soon. I've read nothing but amazing things about the replacement. Really looking forward to having more control over my charge from shore power. It might be a couple weeks before I do it. Already got plans for camping this weekend. But when I do I'll be sure to update this post a couple times.

Click here for this particular model's specs and video.
8 REPLIES 8

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
This is very high on my list of "next projects". Thanks for posting the pictures!
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

TheWB
Explorer
Explorer
Swapped the converter and DC board out yesterday. The DC board comes with he converter. You don't have to swap it out if you don't want to, but unless you purchase the remote pendent for the converter, that board is the only way you'll be able to change the charging mode. It has an indicator LED and push button to control it.

The new system.

It was almost a wire for wire transfer with a couple noted exceptions.

On the old DC board the circuits are numbered from top to bottom. 1-11.

On the new DC board the circuits are number from bottom to top, 1-12. So you've got an extra one. However, circuits 1 and 2 are designated as low current circuits. circuit 11 on the old (circuit 2 on the new) was my 30 amp awning motor. So I swapped it with my CO and LP detector circuit..

That LED indicator and push button are at the top of the DC board directly over your row of fuses. That means once the cover of the WFCO is back on you no longer have access to them, depending on your model and year WFCO panel. This is a big reason why some order the remote pendent and run it elsewhere more convenient. I chose to cut the panel. I cut (extended) the cutout for the row of fuses and brought it even with the top frame of the panel. This will give me easy access to the mode button if I need it.

Turning it, batteries down to 12.0 volts, this converter initially went for the normal 13.6 volt charge pattern. I pushed the button taking it up to 14.4. I heard the inverter genny belch and idle up due to the increase in current. Good enough for me to know it's doing the job. Also watched the percentage increase from 21% to 70 % on the solar controller in the space of about 30 minutes. Not an accurate reading at all as it thinks the batteries are literally at 14.4 volts, but comparing that to watching the increase under normal charging - what a difference. To watch the percentage go up instead of walking away and checking to see if it has gone up at all.

Later today I'll go put this panel cover back on the box and snap another picture to add to this post.

Next project: Inverter time.

TheWB
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Did the WFCO fail? For the average RVer the WFCO does okay.

Are you a boondocker charging from a generator? That is where a better converter has an advantage.
I'm trying to respond... but something about my text makes this thing not post at all. - will continue to try.

No, the WFCO did not fail. It doesn't give me the control I want over my charging. And you kind of guessed it. I'm not your average RVer. My RV never gets turned off. We spend about a third of our life living in the trailer. Out of the last 3 months, 25 days were in the trailer. We hit a total of 11 places, 4 of which were dry camping. Went through 4 propane tanks (15 pounders). Adding another 2 days and 1 place this weekend, dry camping as well. It gets worse April-September of course. 🙂

Usually the solar panels juice up the batteries enough for the next night. But during the winter months with shorter daylight hours and running the furnace all night keeping me at 69 degrees it'll be nice to have the ability to run a 14.4 volt boost mode of charging if needed. My WFCO either doesn't have that, or has never use it that I can tell and you can't force it to. It's always at 13.6.

I also recently learned that camping halfway up the northeastern side of the mountain only gives you 3 hours of sunlight a day right now. 😉

After much editing thoughts... turns out the system didn't like my degree character, as in 69 degrees. With that included, kept refusing to post. Once I figured that out, I just used the word. Sorry for the slow response.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
With the WFCO I need to add water to the batteries often. With the PD just a little water once a year.

Dusty

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Did the WFCO fail? For the average RVer the WFCO does okay.

Are you a boondocker charging from a generator? That is where a better converter has an advantage.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
I put on in my pick up camper years ago. No more cooking the batteries.

The charge wizard is a real wizard.
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
You won't be sorry. I put in that same unit in 2011.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB