cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LED floods on TT bumper

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Before I left for Alaska, I installed a pair of 30 watt (2500 lm) LED off-road flood lights on the bumper of my little trailer, wired to a key-fob switch I picked up on ebay. These lights were never used that entire trip.

Back in my home state of Michigan, I've used them twice now ๐Ÿ™‚

Most recently, I'm spending the weekend doing some dispersed camping in the National Forest, and I arrived to my (pre-scouted) spot well after dark. From the cab of my truck, I hit the button on the key fob and turned the area behind my tt from pitch black into noon sun.

Each flood is mounted toward the outer edge of the bumper and points away from the trailer and up a little.

I'll post a picture tomorrow maybe, I'm inside hiding from bugs right now, they really like the lights too.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed
3 REPLIES 3

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
i have similar on the TT for years, I just moved them to the top of the bumper when I added the storage box. They seemed to light up more mounted up higher. Mine are a pair of cheapo driving lights from the local auto parts. The center pin on the 7-wire connector was already wired for reverse, so I wired the halogen lights to the TT battery and power them via a relay triggered by the trucks reverse lights.

I do like the idea of remote control and maybe some spots on the top front of the TT that would shine up high would be helpful......you have me thinking now!!

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm sure you are aware of the DOT REGULATIONS for having REAR viewing lights on the trailer bumpers and rear of the trailers..

These would not pass safety inspections here in Virginia.

I had to remove the back-up lights on-the spot in order to pass VIRGINIA safety inspection on my OFF-ROAD POPUP a few years back.

The installation looked similar to this GOOGLE PHOTO...

The first item was the lights did not have the DOT APPROVED stamp on them and secondly they did not 'ONLY' come 'ON' when I was in REVERSE with my TRUCK.

I was told I could have mounted them on the sides of the trailer with manual ON-OFF switches but not on the rear of the POPUP trailer.

Just saying...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Alfred622
Explorer
Explorer
Love to see a photo of this setup at night. Also love to know the type of LED bulb you got and the fob from eBay. This might be a great DIY project!
Alfred
2005 Sightseer with Workhorse, ReadyBrute Elite towing 2003 Honda CRV
Map below shows states where we actually camped.....