cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LED light strips under awning?

blackcows
Explorer
Explorer
I have a pretty good idea of what I’m going to use and how I’m going to do this but I have one thing I’m trying to decide. I’m going to use led tape/strip and trying to decide the angle I want to install. I’m going to install on the trailer just below the awning. Should I install so they are pointed straight out from the trailer, towards the ground, or at a 45 degree angle?
11 REPLIES 11

msb1766
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced the yellow bug light with an white led light.
Got it from Superbright leds.com

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/vehicle-area-lights/5-rv-led-flood-light-exterior-awning-li...

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I mounted them under the awning rail where it meets the side of the camper. It was just wide enough for the strip to fit in. Why buy anything else when its already there.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I mounted two strips flat on the wall under the awning. One RGB strip and one warm white strip on separate switches.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have the neon rope lights but have a special slot they slide into on our awning roller. Been using them 8 years now and still working fine. We like the because they give a decent amount of light but are not blinding.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
They have a new style, wonder if it resists the weather better. Called LED neon rope. Same rgb strip but it's installed into a track and then extruded into translucent white silicone.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
I bought LED strips off amazon and an adapter to wire them into my patio light. Just make sure you buy the encased strips meant for outdoor use and you don’t need to do anything else to them. I stuck mine to the underside of the awning track. Don’t think it matters what angle they are mounted on, the projection will be similar. Get some 3M double sided automotive tape to mount them as the tape the strips come with doesn’t work very well. Mine started falling off after 2 weeks the first time around. The 3M tape has been on for 3 years so far.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

TBammer
Explorer
Explorer
Who makes the lighting effect for shining up in the trees?
2016 Chevy 2500 HD, 6.0 gasser, 4.10 dif
2019 Arctic Fox 25W
Reese Pro-Series WD Hitch

My "08" fifth wheel did not have awning lights, I purchased the entire system from Superbright LED's.... I placed an aluminum rail 1/2" below the awning, it allowed the LED strip to mount on a 45 * angle and I used a clear cover to seal it all in..

Here - - clicky
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

granddad
Explorer
Explorer
I looked into these too . My son's trailer has them and honestly , they kind of bother the eyes if setting looking at the trailer . I mounted some just under the bottom side of our Winnie drop ,they shine straight down at the ground "amber " . Plenty of light , no bugs at the porch light or under canopy . I like them there under bottom side of the trailer best . no eye strain .

blackcows
Explorer
Explorer
WNYBob wrote:
I just stuck them on the side of the TT, but I incased them in a rectanglular silicon tube! The first one I put up corroded and would not work right.

I was thinking I would put them in a rail with a cover. Did you use clear or opaque cover?

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
I just stuck them on the side of the TT, but I incased them in a rectanglular silicon tube! The first one I put up corroded and would not work right.