Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mobile Clinic: need electrical outlets

grahammcp
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all!

I am an optometrist, and I am creating a mobile clinic to serve the local geriatric population. I recently purchased a 2003 Goshen Ford E450 shuttle bus. All seats will be removed, and I'll create a single "exam room" out of the space. I need to plug in only a few pieces of equipment (microscope with single halogen bulb, AC for summer, and small space heater for winter). This will only be used for about 8 hours per week. What would you recommend as the power source? I will be pulling up to senior care facilities, and so noise levels are a concern (so I've ruled out a generator).

Would you recommend adding a solar panel on top of the bus, or would it be easier to simply use a battery (that I can remove to recharge in my garage)? In these two scenarios, I will be dealing with a battery. What is the best way to convert from a battery to a standard 3-prong outlet? Finally, is there a go-to battery for this type of use?

Thank you!
Graham
12 REPLIES 12

riggsp
Explorer
Explorer
A generator run by the coach engine could provide power for a rooftop A.C/Heater plumbed to the engine as stated by Gordon Three, and it could be quieter than a separate generator depending on whether you have a gas or diesel engine...only noise would be the idling engine.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
If you plan to run the air or a space heater without plugging in you really need a generator. A Honda EU3000i is what you need. If lifting over 100 pounds seems a bit much then consider two Honda EU2000i in parallel. Possibly an extended run fuel tank if you will have long days needing air conditioning.

Parallel Honda $2100

Extended run tank $200 (amazon)

If you prefer to get by on one honda you would need a smaller air conditioner of maybe 9000 BTU max. Could be marginal for the older set.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
The mobile vet's office that is in a Class C on the coast where we go has a 50 amp plug outside of a business where he parks when he is not out on a mobile call. He pays the owner of the building something per month to park there and be plugged in. When out mobile, he uses a generator. They do all care, surgeries and grooming if needed. Maybe the senior center where you are going can have, or you have an rv service installed for your use.

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
grahammcp wrote:
It seems that a generator is the way to go. I just read that 60db is equivalent to a "conversation in restaurant, office, background music, Air conditioning unit at 100 feet." That's amazing...I'm sold!
Just don't believe the marketing. Find a local dealer and listen to one when it's under load.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
grahammcp wrote:
Wow, thank you all for the input!

It seems that a generator is the way to go. I just read that 60db is equivalent to a "conversation in restaurant, office, background music, Air conditioning unit at 100 feet." That's amazing...I'm sold!

Again, thank you, all!

That doesn't mean a construction generator which are very loud. You want an inverter generator like the ones Yamaha and Honda sell. And to run an a/c you'll probably need a 4 Kilowatt unit.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
How about an under hood generator? How about about a rooftop unit plumbed into the engine like smaller school bus and shuttle vans use?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

grahammcp
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, thank you all for the input!

Again, thank you, all!

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Generators in a sound proof compartment aren't that loud. A lot Less than the leaf blowers or lawn mowers the landscape crews uses at the senior centers.

A generator will provide the most reliable power at the most economical cost.

Good luck with your new venture....

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
grahammcp wrote:
Hello all!

I am an optometrist, and I am creating a mobile clinic to serve the local geriatric population. I recently purchased a 2003 Goshen Ford E450 shuttle bus. All seats will be removed, and I'll create a single "exam room" out of the space. I need to plug in only a few pieces of equipment (microscope with single halogen bulb, AC for summer, and small space heater for winter). This will only be used for about 8 hours per week. What would you recommend as the power source? I will be pulling up to senior care facilities, and so noise levels are a concern (so I've ruled out a generator).

Would you recommend adding a solar panel on top of the bus, or would it be easier to simply use a battery (that I can remove to recharge in my garage)? In these two scenarios, I will be dealing with a battery. What is the best way to convert from a battery to a standard 3-prong outlet? Finally, is there a go-to battery for this type of use?

Thank you!
Graham

You will need to rule the generator back in! There are very quiet generators and you are going to have to add this into your budget. You might be able to get away with solar and a large battery bank during the months you can do without air conditioning, but when A/C is required you are going to need to plug into a 30AMP or better shore line or you are going to have to run a generator.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your two items mentioned, AC and Space Heater, will pull a good deal of power. They make some fairly quiet generators so don't give up on that option. From the little I know, it will take a lot of battery power to run AC or effective heat for 8 hours.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
AC and heater aren't going to be practical without power plug-in or generator. Solar might work if you can leave the bus running and use its HVAC system for the heating/cooling. How many watts does the other stuff draw, and how many hours/day will they be in use (are all 8 hours in 1 day, or...)?

I'd suggest looking at the quiet inverter generators. Honda is most well known, but there are others. If you haven't heard one, you might be amazed at how quiet they can be (not sleeping in a rural campground quiet, but no noisier than city traffic quiet).

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Can't you run a power extension cable to the facility that you are working at? Tho that may be questionable depending on how many amps the a/c and/or the heater draw. For quiet power, a 4K Honda or Yamaha generator would work but would need to be in a vented compartment. And you'd have to make sure you drain the fuel out of the carburettor when you put the bus away. Any reasonable sized battery set would probably be flatlined by the a/c or the heater.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper