cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Modification of the pass thru & underbed storage Jayco 23RB

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
The following are pictures from my initial modification of my then new 2017 Jayco Jay Flight 23RB. For what ever reason (probably to save some money) Jayco liked the "open concept" WRT the pass through storage and the under bed storage. I didn't so I fixed it.

I've already taken off the bed platform. It originally hinged up at the forward wall.

Beginning the framing process. I used roof joist connector plates (nail plates?) to connect the parts. Used one on either side of the joint.

A look from inside the pass through.

The completed section with the plywood backing.

A look from the pass through.

The bed platform was cut. This portion was permanently screwed down.

The rest of the bed platform is attached using the old hydraulic struts.

View of the finished project from the pass through.

Complete with 10" foam mattress. Ready for football tailgating season.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch
4 REPLIES 4

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with the others--very nicely done work, and it looks like an improvement over the initial setup.

The nail plates on the framing members are probably unnecessary, but certainly there's no harm in using them and nothing wrong with the construction. Gluing the framework together, if done with care, would be plenty strong enough. (These days, now that I have it, I might use my handy Dowl-it dowling jig to build up something like this; it makes nice sturdy joints pretty quick and painless).

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting mod, well executed, but had I been doing this I would have included a hinged or removable entry panel from the pass through compartment to the under bed storage area so in the unlikely event we got locked out of our trailer I could go into through the pass through. Actually I've intended to do just this with our own trailer, just haven't gotten around to it.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Quantum82
Explorer
Explorer
Great job!

Looks very professional.
2019 F150 Ecoboost
2015 Jayco Whitehawk 28BHKS

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
That's interesting that the pass through and under bed storage were not divided. I've owned 3 different travel trailers and every one of them had that divide.

Only problem with my current camper, the screws came out where the hinges are for lifting the mattress. I tried reattaching and they broke out again after a short while. I ended up adding 1x3's under the plywood platform and added more support inside the pass through so those screws had something solid to bite into and provided better support so that plywood would not sag. It originally a miserable design. Fix was fairly simply, but a miserable design.

Here again! What WERE they thinking? And quite obvious, the "geniuses" sitting behind a desk playing with their CAD computer drawing toys have probably never actually been camping a day in their lives and are clueless to what is non-functional in a camper!