cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My remodel

TheBreu
Explorer
Explorer
This is our first camper, bought last April and used the bejeesus out of it and love it. We are not new to camping by any means, did all tent camping up until now including 2 weeks out in Glacier, Yellowstone, Tetons etc. Posting for others as inspiration for a complete remodel. Plans are to paint all cabinets and woodwork, new vinyl flooring, new carpet, new upholstery and adding a rotating TV wall like in the new campers. When looking for our camper we had a wish list: slide, bunk house, good foundation to start with and we must be able to pay cash. Even though there are 2 of us currently, we wanted a larger camper to hopefully someday have kids and grow into it. We settled on a 33' Fleetwood Mallard, sleeps 9 (ish, because of the small dinette and one smaller rear bunk). We have had as many as 6 in there comfortably for a couple weekends.

Living in S.E. Michigan doesn't allow you to work on it throughout the winter so we took advantage of one of the first nicer day of the year to pull it out of storage and strip the wall paper boarder and start taping off for paint.

The day we looked at it

Rustic reclaimed oak vinyl plank flooring

Sample of the new upholstery. Bottom is a "Greige" (grayish-beige)
top is the floral that has yellows, oranges, grays and white.

Looks cleaner without the boarder already!

Smaller rectangle is the TV size, Larger is the "frame" around the TV that will be trimmed out after the hole is put in the wall
2000 F350
2000 Fleetwood Mallard
64 REPLIES 64

TheBreu
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you! I can't wait to wrap up this project. Now that it is usable, I'll probably throttle back on it. I have a ton of weekends booked already and don't want to spend my camp weekends working on it. Limited time to use it up here in the north (more-so than Mexico lol)
2000 F350
2000 Fleetwood Mallard

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Looks very good. Too bad the manufacturers can't be as creative and make rvs livable. The television frame turned out really well.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

TheBreu
Explorer
Explorer
Got the trailer to a usable state, still have some trim work to do/paint and new blinds/curtains etc. We went camping this past weekend and had a lot of rain. Enough to not bother with a fire, so the TV got some use! We used the fireplace as our source of heat since we had no propane. The fireplace had no problem keeping the temp in the trailer, even with temps in the low 30's at night.

Theft deterrent with the slide closed

2000 F350
2000 Fleetwood Mallard

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Very custom! I had wondered what that taped square was going to be. Great job. Keep posting. You are a motivator to others who want to do remodeling and some DIY.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

TheBreu
Explorer
Explorer
Starting to really take shape. Got the flooring installed this weekend, the slide out piece of carpet I had to take to get the front edge bound and should have it back tomorrow and I should be able to put the couch and dinette back in. I will be able to use it to camp and do the finishing touches here and there.

The piece in front of the sink is extra. I had it backed with rubber and bound like the slide out and will use it for a matching runner. I figured it would end up in the trash if I didn't and would need to buy other runner carpet anyway, so kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Plus, it matches.

The start of the framing for the TV wall

The wood blocks are spacers for the TV and to openings are for plugs/wiring

I'll find a picture to print and put on this side. Thought of going the mirror route, but it's a bit too low on the wall and I would have to stoop down to look in it.

I'll get some small crown molding and trim/paint to finish it off

View from laying in my side of the bed.
2000 F350
2000 Fleetwood Mallard

dannytas
Explorer
Explorer
Bravo on your ability to tackle such a job. It is very appealing to have your camper just the way you want it!!!
2014 Keystone Springdale 202QBWE
1998 Dodge 1500 Club Cab, 4x4, 5.9 magnum
DW-Lynn
BigDog-Kelley
LittleDog-Kroozer
LittleCats-Pokie and Dottie

TheBreu
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty productive weekend on the trailer. Got all the cabinet doors/drawer fronts painted and re-installed, painted all the pulls/hinges and pulled all the old flooring up. I will be out of town for most of the week/weekend so I won't get flooring installed until the last weekend on April. After that it will be finishing touches.

2000 F350
2000 Fleetwood Mallard

ddndoug
Explorer
Explorer
Nice! Keep up the good work.

Doug
2009 Four Winds Hurricane 33T
F53 Ford Chassis w/Triton V-10

TheBreu
Explorer
Explorer
Got some more done today. I laid out all the doors and drawer fronts, primed them yesterday and painted this morning.

I got some paint to be able to paint the hinges, drawer pulls and light fixtures. We do want to get new ones, just figured we'd save the couple hundred for now since there is a lot of cash going out for this project as it is.

We also started to put some of it back together today!

2000 F350
2000 Fleetwood Mallard

John_Betty
Explorer
Explorer
Looks fantastic. Can't wait to see the finished project.
John & Betty
2007 Dodge Ram 1500
2010 Keystone Bullet 246RBS

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
TheBreu wrote:
qtla9111 wrote:
How cool is that! Congratulations. What a great gift! You must have a great boss.

I do have a great boss and I am very greatful to work for him! I should have come visit you while I was in Monterrey! I was right by the airport at the new Airport Technology Park

I hope you got to see some of the city.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

TheBreu
Explorer
Explorer
qtla9111 wrote:
How cool is that! Congratulations. What a great gift! You must have a great boss.

I do have a great boss and I am very greatful to work for him! I should have come visit you while I was in Monterrey! I was right by the airport at the new Airport Technology Park
2000 F350
2000 Fleetwood Mallard

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

TheBreu
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys!

This weekend the weather looks to maybe cooperate so I can try to finish painting the cabinets inside the camper. I should also be able to get my door and drawer fonts in the paint booth and prime and paint those. Hoping to get the cabinet and stuff put back together and finish ripping out the rest of the flooring and repair the rot.

As stated earlier, I work of a sign shop and our shop does a lot of work for a local tier one supplier. I built a sign for a new plant of theirs in Monterrey Mexico. Last weekend I had the pleasure of going to install said sign. We flew into Texas and drove across the boarder to install the sign on their building. It was a major pain as they didn't have a lift on site for me to do the work and had to stay a couple extra days for them to get one since it was a weekend and they couldn't get one on site for Saturday or Sunday. Long story short, someone from that company probably won't have a job too much longer once the CEO finds out about the whole ordeal.

I got back to work this morning and the boss pulled me into the office for a "chat". When instructed to remove a sheet placed over a box it revealed this for payment:

I was blown away. He even got me the remote start option. Now I can't wait to boondock, which will ironically be on his property in northern MI. Needless to say, I am quite a happy boy and can't wait for camping season!
2000 F350
2000 Fleetwood Mallard

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looking great, keep it up!
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread