cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Maxxfan

tbiker99
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing too special, lots of you have replaced ceiling vent fans before. Just thought I'd add some info on my installation. I had one of those crappy factory installed fans that only has one button and it's either on or off. It was loud anytime it was on, and it only has a 4" fan in a 10" opening(sizes estimated). I debated between Fantastic and Maxxair, I chose the basic Maxxfan 4301k. I didn't need all of the options. It's a bathroom fan that wife and I can easily reach, we don't need all the cool options and I already had a Fanmate covers(more to this later). Since this is the highest point in my camper, I usually leave this vent cracked open to allow hot air to escape when it is in storage.

now the somewhat interesting stuff:

I did some noise testing. I placed my high-tech sound meter(app for my phone) on my bathroom counter. The ambient noise level was 25db.
The factory fan only has on or off setting. When it was on, it was at 50db. A 25db increase!
The Maxxfan has 4 settings, the low setting has a noise level of 32db(very quiet). Level 2 was about 38db, level 3 is about 45db, and level 4 is at 58db! I will say that even at it's loudest setting, the sound is much more pleasant; I'll assume it's the frequency of the noise. (this link may give people an idea of how quiet. http://www.noisequest.psu.edu/images/soundlevels.jpg)

Now, I have another issue. The new Maxxfan has tabs on the outside for quick mounting of the new Fanmate covers. I have an older Fanmate 850 covers. The new tabs are in the way. I don't want to buy new covers, because I have 3 of them and I want them to match. I'm not sure if I should try to grind the plastic tabs off or try to grind slots in the metal mounting brackets for the plastic tabs to fit. I emailed the manufacture to see if they have new hardware or get their input.
2006 Chevy Duramax,4x4 Crew Cab
Big Country 3494QBS
6 REPLIES 6

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good luck with that,if the freeze up later I have an extra set for a small fee :B
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

tbiker99
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I got my answer from Maxxfan. Either buy the new style Fanmate or cut off the plastic tabs. I shall be going at the tabs with a Dremel and a cutting disk.
Thanks for the assistance
Big Country 3494QBS

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
I put a MaxxFan on our new '03 mh. That one had a hood that had about a 150* elbow with the fan on the outside end. We liked that one real well.
We now have a '15 mh and would like to put that same style MaxxFan on it but that model appears to be no longer available. Anyone know where we might find one.

Thanks,
Dusty

tbiker99
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the info. I can cut the tabs without removing the fan.

I really don't want to buy new covers, these are only a year old and I feel like I've now given Maxxair enough of my money for this camper.
I will re-inspect the hardware and use anti-seize if I have to reuse the hardware. Thanks for that tip/warning.

Hopefully they'll get back with me tomorrow and maybe they have new hardware.
Big Country 3494QBS

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good luck,is all I can say.If it were me I would just buy the new covers.
Here is why,I had the old 850 Fan Mate which they do not make anymore,I would open and clean the fan when needed but one day one of the wing nuts would only spin and not come off,seems that the weld that holds the stud to the base plate had failed,giving me no way to take the cover off. After talking with Maxx Air,BTW they are very responsive and helpful,they had no idea how to get the cover off.

After a lot of trial and error I managed to get the hinged side loose and pry the cover up so a small child's hand could get in and get the mounting screws loose. Now I had it loose and the plate was still attached to the cover,I took it to the bench and managed to cut the bolt off.Now I had a cover with only one mounting bracket.

I called the service line and again told the story to them,they responded by saying that they would send out a new set of mounting brackets free,which they did in record time.

But what they sent were the new Maxx Air mounting brackets with the pins,again I called and being very helpful they sent another set. The wrong ones again!

I called again and the Tech was very helpful as I explained my problem. After he looked at a picture on his computer he could see what I really needed,he explained that they had gone to a new mounting bracket with the pins and the old ones may not be in stock.
After a week they called back and said that they had found the correct parts and were shipping the last ones they could find.

They were the right ones and I installed the 850 again, but in about a month when I tried to open it I had the same problem,one wing nut would only spin. So chucked it all and went to the new Fan Mate with the pins,they will never fail,and the fan lid will open about an inch more than it did with the 850.

Sorry for the long story but I wish you luck in what ever you decide but if the wing nuts fail like mine did you may not be able to get replacement mounts. This may be why they went to the pin type of mount.
Good Luck.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

MrWizard
I think I would have cut the tabs, before I mounted the fan
Removing the new vent and cutting the tabs, might be the best choice
Can you cut these in place without damaging the roof ?
Are these vertical or horizontal
Cutting tabs off, will be easier than cutting new slots in the metal and getting everything aligned in the right place
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s