cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New roof! Should I use TPO or EPDM ??

JimMartin
Explorer
Explorer
Going to replace my Roof this summer on my 34' Coachmen. Has several patches in it right now, but needs to be done soon. The roof I have now is EPDM. But I've read that the TPO is easier to install and that it help reduce the temperature inside the coach because it's white on white?

The EPDM will run about $150 more then the TPO. Just wondering is anybody has done a roof in TPO?

Your thoughts?
2003 Georgie Boy Pursuit 35', V10 F53 Chassis
21 REPLIES 21

JimMartin
Explorer
Explorer

JimMartin
Explorer
Explorer

JimMartin
Explorer
Explorer
Update:

Wasn't real happy with the old, yellowed, and cracked rear corner molding on my RV. After putting the new white TPO on the roof, and then installing 100' of new plastic screw cover molding, my side caps looked terrible. I searched everywhere for new ones, But didn't have any luck.

Here's my solution. I went to Lowes and bought a 50' roll of white PVC flashing and stalled it over the old stuff, then reinstalled the medal trim and white plastic screw moldings.

Came out great! Here's some before and after pictures:

JimMartin
Explorer
Explorer

JimMartin
Explorer
Explorer
Just about finished with my roof. You can see here in the pictures that I tracked glue everywhere, but it cleans off pretty easy once it's dry. Decided to eliminate the front and rear cap molding and replaced them with 6" Enternabond tape. Also used the Enternabond on the Skylight and Frig vent. Will take more pictures once I clean it all up.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Nice work so far Jim.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

JimMartin
Explorer
Explorer
Got all the old rubber roofing removed from the RV. Luan was soaked in several places. Really bad around the skylight area. Removed all the roof vents and the Skylight, Remove and moved the rear A/C up to the front area of the roof so I could start on the rear (don't want to have to take the a/c units off the roof because there very hard to handle). Striped all the Luan off the rear half of my RV. Replaced the Luan with 3/8 plywood using liquid nails and dry wall screws. Hardest place so fare is prying up all the staples that hold the strips of aluminum that make the curve that goes from the roof to the side walls of the RV.

Once I got the plywood screwed down in place on the rear section of the RV, I re-stapled the aluminum back on with an air powered horseshoe gun and moved the rear A/C back in place just to get it off of the way..

JimMartin
Explorer
Explorer

JimMartin
Explorer
Explorer
Pictures

JimMartin
Explorer
Explorer
Got started on the roof. Can't post pictures on here for some reason so I posted them on here: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/started-on-my-new-roof-today-202161.html#post2036535

JimMartin
Explorer
Explorer
where's the best (price) place to buy the TPO membrane

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
JimMartin wrote:
I'm going to do a TPO roof. Will cost me about $1000 if I do it myself.

Exelent choice. I have TPO roofing on my S&B flat roof here in Arizona. Installed in 1989 when TPO first became available and its doing fine. Our motorhome also has a TPO roof, no sluffing off of the top layer and no streaks down the sides.
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

Dtaylor
Explorer
Explorer
JimMartin wrote:
Dtaylor wrote:
Check out http://rvroof.com/

I did. They want $4800 to do my 34' RV! That's crazy!!

WOW! that is a lot. I knew it cost but had no idea it was that much. If you are DIY, then I would look at the Rhino
Our Travel Blog

2018 Premier 29RKPR
2014 Ford F-150

JimMartin
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to do a TPO roof. Will cost me about $1000 if I do it myself.