cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Outside the box ideas for tank covers and tongue storage

onemilmhz
Explorer
Explorer
Pun intended! A recent thread on another site got me thinking, anyone build a homemade/custom tank cover for their LP's? If so, what material did you decide to use and why? The factory/industry available options just don't impress me much. They're either super cheap and flimsy, like the thin plastic white ones that don't work very well and look terrible; or they cost a fortune. $200+ for a piece of plastic with a door? No thanks. I don't have a garage or other covered space to store my pup, and I have had bad luck with tanks rusting and looking horrible. I'm thinking of building a sealed box of some type around them for protection and a little extra storage, maybe even incorporate the battery. I know there are some redneck engineers out there (or even some legit ones) that have done this, so let's see them!
TV - 2003 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4
TT - 1979 Holiday Vacationer (Hunting Lodge!)
Tent - Coleman Adler Creek
4 REPLIES 4

onemilmhz
Explorer
Explorer
robsouth wrote:
Not sure a "sealed box" for LP tanks is a good idea. Check further on it before proceeding.
I should clarify, not sealed as in airtight but weatherproof and lockable. Lots of battery thieves around here. Sealed being bad when it comes to batteries as well. ๐Ÿ˜‰
TV - 2003 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4
TT - 1979 Holiday Vacationer (Hunting Lodge!)
Tent - Coleman Adler Creek

Muddydogs
Explorer
Explorer
robsouth wrote:
Not sure a "sealed box" for LP tanks is a good idea. Check further on it before proceeding.

This is true, when propane tanks get hot especially when they are full the valve is designed to vent a little pressure off. Propane tanks in the same box as battery's isn't a good idea also since a spark from the battery's could cause a problem when the propane takes release a little pressure.
2015 Eclipse Iconic Toy Hauler made by Eclipse Manufacturing which is a pile of junk. If you want to know more just ask and I'll tell you about cracked frames, loose tin, walls falling off, bad holding tanks and very poor customer service.

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Way back in our popup days I needed a bit more storage for hoses, cables, etc so I built a custom storage box that I mounted at the rear of the trailer. I built it with plywood, designed a locking capped lid for it, and finished it in black vehicle rock guard textured spray paint. I towed that trailer over tens of thousands of miles for several years in just about every type of weather imaginable and it proved to be completely watertight. There's no reason you couldn't do the same to build a tongue mounted box to the exact dimensions you want, my only caution being that I personally wouldn't put a battery (or batteries) in the same compartment as the propane tank(s).
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380