cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Range venthood light fix

fred42
Explorer
Explorer
My RV must have the cheapest range vent hood ever. It is a Heng's.

The light had never worked and I assumed I just needed a new bulb, but when I checked it I saw it had just burned up on the first use. Can you believe someone would design a hot halogen bulb right next to the plastic cover?

I found an LED bulb at AutoZone for $8. It had this weird "try me" thing which turned out to be good as it provided a crude fixture and some wires.

I removed the light, cut and stripped the wires.

I cut the halogen connector off and stripped the supply wires. I used electrical tape to insulate the bulb terminals and wire connections. I taped the bulb into fixture before putting the cover on.

I guess I could have prettied up the burn hole a little bit and glued a piece of clear plastic over it. Maybe tomorrow.

2007 Tiffin Allegro 28DA
5 REPLIES 5

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
LarryJM, do you have any info on the fan upgrade you can post?
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I had my range hood down some time ago I completely re did my fan and lights. I sealed up the range hood in the front so the fan would draw all the air up thru the filter and out thru the exhaust area in the wall, installed a huge 12V brushless fan with two speeds, added two extra lights and redid the switches. Until one looks it's amazing how poorly the front area of the fan box is sealed to the switch and indicator panel which greatly reduces the fan from drawing air up thru the wire mess filter and exhausting that out thru the wall ducting reducing it's efficiency to close to zero. A lot of the exhaust is actually going into the cavity in the fan area plenum that is open to the front switch/indicator panel area on the front of the fan hood. Now my fan really draws the air up thru the screen and exhausts it out thru the wall duct much better than it was originally. I have pics and details of these mods, but didn't include them here since this thread is about lights and not the exhaust fan in general. Since the new fan was two speeds I had an old two speed labeled rocker switch like the ones already on my hood and installed that in place of the original switch and moved that switch to a blank slot to the left of the existing light switch to control the two new lights I installed.

Picture of the new switch set up .... notice the dual speed fan switch on the far right and the unlabeled switch to the left of the switch labeled light which is now for the two new lights I installed.

Picture of the two new lights. These are lights from WM (12V general "dome lights" - $5.88 each) and now I have the option of just the original light, just the two new lights that really light up the stove 100% better than the dinky OEM one or running all three. Because they are now on each side of the fan fixture they remove all the shadow areas on the stove top that existed with just the single OEM light in front.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

ICamel
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same issue with the cover having a hole melted in it. I cut the rectangular bottom portion of the cover out and then cut a piece of clear Lexan material to the same size as the cut out and glued it in place. Then replaced the bulb with an LED 921/T15. Much brighter than the OEM and not anywhere near as hot.
ICamel

2017 Arctic Fox 992
2005 Ford F350 Lariat SuperDuty CrewCab 4x4 + 6 Speed Manual + 19.5" Tires + LoadLifter 5000 Rear Air Bags
2005 16' River Wild Drift Boat
Honda EU2000i
Trophytrout FlyFisherman

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Over a few rigs I've replaced a few 921s over the years. They all seem to get a silverish nature to them which blocks a lot of their light output. This last year I put in a LED and wow, I've got light. No longer can we use it as a night light for the grandkids.....;)
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
That must be what is in ours, it is a cheap piece of crap. Ours uses a bulb like the #921 only slightly larger and does not put out much light.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"