Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reaching the 12v TV amplifier

The_Logans
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all

Just got a 2015 Jayco Redhawk, and love everything except where the 12v TV antenna amplifier is located.

As near as I can tell, after a night of heavy drinking, a Jayco design team decided to place the amplifier derictly behind the TV. To push the button, one is required to swing out the TV, climb up into the cab-over bunk, and crawl around behind the TV to turn on the antenna booster.

Now the DW and I are a bit old for doing that each time we want to use the TV antenna, so I'm looking for suggestions.

Rather than move the entire amplifier assembly somewhere reachable, would it be possible to cut and splice the 12v wire that goes to the amplifier, and run it out to a small rocker switch. I would think that would just break the circuit, and allow me to turn the power on and off from the new switch.

Seems too simple... I MUST be missing something!

Thanks!
Me, My wonderful Wife, 2 Bluetick Hounds, a Newfie, a Cairn Terrier & a Black Lab / Newfie Mix.
2018 Jayco Alante 31v
6 REPLIES 6

The_Logans
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Lynmor,

I guess there is no way around moving the whole assembly. I'll need to move it about 15 inches for it to be usable. That means splicing in more coax and more power wire... sounds like it will be a major project!

WHY would Jayco EVER put the darn thing where it can't be used?

Good Grief....:?
Me, My wonderful Wife, 2 Bluetick Hounds, a Newfie, a Cairn Terrier & a Black Lab / Newfie Mix.
2018 Jayco Alante 31v

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
That switch does more than turn the 12v on and off. It also switches the coax connection.

I had the same issue and did install a remote switch, but the switch on the amp still needs to be used when changing between cable and antenna inputs. I was able to move the original switch a few inches so that I can now at least see it.

The remote switch is at the lower left in the photo. The original switch was moved to the left and put in a surface mounted box.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I think the switch idea should work fine. Since we dry camp a lot we are in the habit of turning the booster off when not needed.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
You are not missing a thing. If you can find the wiring between the fuse box and the power supply, adding an on/off switch will have the exact same effect that pushing the on/off button would have. 12V on....OTA TV.....12V off....Cable connection works. If you don't need cable, there is no reason to ever turn the button off unless you will be storing the coach while not plugged in.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
or you can turn it on once and forget it

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
That sounds very plausible. Good luck, and post pics of your work...
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad