cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing old TV with flat screen

vcbutton
Explorer
Explorer
I removed the bulky 12 year old TV from the compartment over the cab. Plan to install a 29" flat screen. If the wall mount works as expected, I will have access to the compartment by rotating the mount to the left or right. If anyone has done this, I would appreciate any tips you may have. If I can figure out how, I'll post some pics.
Without America. there is no free world!
6 REPLIES 6

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
You don't say what kind of RV you have but it sounds like you have a Class C. I decided I didn't want my TV way up high so I mounted it lower down.

Here is how I mounted mine. Of course, if you don't have a Class C, it wouldn't work.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Jack_Kay
Explorer
Explorer
Our rig had a tube TV abiout 25" and this last year I replaced it with a 32" JVC LED TV. I bought a Phillips sound bar that I mounted right below the new TV and had enough room behind to stash the sub-woofer. Now we have a great picture and when needed great sound. Sorry, If I knew how to post pictures on this site, I would. Other sites have my pictures.
Jack & Kay
2015 Allegro 32CA
2014 Honda CR-V
FMCA #F341229

azchuckmo
Explorer
Explorer
Nice I will also have to consider this option for my TV replacement issues.

Chuck

2004 Montana Mountaineer 277RLS
2011 F350 6.7 KR LB SRW FX4

vcbutton
Explorer
Explorer
Very helpful. Good tip about inverter also very clever mounting and stowing in the pics. The Teflon stabilizers/latches is a great idea. I hadn't addressed that yet. Thanks
Without America. there is no free world!

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Our TV isn't over the cab, but this info may be of help anyway. I replaced the old style 13 inch TV in our MH with a 26 inch flat panel. The articulating arm is mounted to the interior side wall of the cabinet.

This mount allowed the 26 inch TV to fit into the cabinet on the diagonal for travel.

A new oak frame with the old roll up as the center panel finished the job nicely.

The new TV is a great improvement!
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Many TV's now have the speakers on the bottom, so if leaving the TV in place is an option, you might leave a gap on the bottom under the TV when it is set in place.

In my case, I used the old framing to attach a piece of two by eight right across from side to side. Then I mounted the pull out swing/tilt mount onto that so that when the TV was in place, the mount was at a minimum extension.

I mounted two pieces of Teflon from a cutting board on each side of the original mounting frame, and these turned from horizontal to vertical to let the TV come out and swing, or hold it into place without having a bungee cord or other vision reducing strap across the screen.

I also mounted a 400 watt inverter to run the TV, that size is large enough so that a small load will not usually cause the inverter fan to run. Noise reduction and less overall draw not running the inverter fan.

Look for a TV with a power saver mode too.. It can save as much as 25% of the necessary wattage.

After mounting the two by eight to bold the swing arm in place, the storage behind was compromised, but we never seemed to need more anyway.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel