cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Residential fridge replacement

NeverHome2
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the process of replacing our Norcold 1200 with a Samsung RF18 in our 2005 HR Endeavor. We have an inverter & generator and almost never dry camp. The Samsung will fit thru our entry door nicely... maybe an inch to spare. All the dimensions of the Samsung indicated that it will fit nicely in the same opening as the Norcold. The only dimension that will be close is the height. We have Lipert furnace under the fridge (9.5" or 10"). That leaves about .125" to .5" clearance at the top of the Samsung. The debate is if the furnace should be removed or not. It is one of two furnaces in the coach.

Several questions:

We were wondering if anyone out there had a similar issue?
Were you able to leave the furnace and was the clearance adequate?
Can you provide tips on how you built the floor for residential fridge (either over the furnace or not)?
If you removed the furnace, how did you handle covering the outside hole? It is rather large and painted to match the coach.
Lovin' Life!!!!

2005 HR Endeavor
30 REPLIES 30

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad you could find the latch. It works perfectly and has been in place for about 15 years without issue.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Joe_Way
Explorer
Explorer
rkentzel wrote:
I would not recommend screwing any thing around the edges of the refer there is a hot gas loop and if you drive a screw in that you have a nice stainless yard ornament

Not a problem in our situation--latch will mount on face frame, plate will mount on edge of door which has no wiring or plumbing.

rkentzel
Explorer
Explorer
I would not recommend screwing any thing around the edges of the refer there is a hot gas loop and if you drive a screw in that you have a nice stainless yard ornament
1997 Pursuit class A

Joe_Way
Explorer
Explorer
Joe Way wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
I use a wonderful lock by a company called LAMP. I don't remember where I found this but it's quick and simple. Your setup would require 2.

Are there any identifying markings on the latch in addition to the manufacturer? I've been looking for one like it.

Never mind--I found it on Amazon--pricy, but I will get one.

The fridge door on our old Norcold has an add-on latch in addition to the OE latch, and we still have to block the add-on latch with a wooden shim to keep it closed. Oddly, we never have had a problem with the OE latch on the Freezer.

NeverHome2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone! We are very happy with the new fridge. The biggest advantage is we no longer need to worry about the Norcold catching on fire! There already was some blackening of the insulation on the Norcold.

We are going with the no cost solution for keeping the door closed: bungee cord. No cost and the DW can easily install!

Lovin' Life!!!!

2005 HR Endeavor

Joe_Way
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
I use a wonderful lock by a company called LAMP. I don't remember where I found this but it's quick and simple. Your setup would require 2.

Are there any identifying markings on the latch in addition to the manufacturer? I've been looking for one like it.

yamerhammer1
Explorer
Explorer
You do good work. It looks great!
2012 F-250 superduty
2014 Jayco premier 361reqs

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Nice work, thanks for sharing!
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

davosfam
Explorer
Explorer
NeverHome2 wrote:
The new fridge is in and looks great! So much more room than the old one and bright light inside too! Top shelf is a little high but not a problem since we are both tall. Plan to use bungee cord for the doors. Found decorative aluminum grate for under the fridge to allow air intake for the furnace. Overall, very pleased with the project!

I am green with envy! It looks great!
Shannen and Rick, empty nesters and loving it!
2015 Keystone Cougar 333MKS
2005 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice work. Now go reward yourself with some ice cream!

NeverHome2
Explorer
Explorer
The new fridge is in and looks great! So much more room than the old one and bright light inside too! Top shelf is a little high but not a problem since we are both tall. Plan to use bungee cord for the doors. Found decorative aluminum grate for under the fridge to allow air intake for the furnace. Overall, very pleased with the project!

Lovin' Life!!!!

2005 HR Endeavor

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
Peaple in Australia are installing inverter fridges I belive mainly Mitsubishi and they operate of a 300W PSW inverter
.Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

davosfam
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
In your case, no need for an inverter since you never camp without shore power.

BUT to answer your question..

You are correct, to start a inductive load like a fridge compressor you must have an inverter large enough to handle the large startup surges.

Typically compressor run current will be about 1A at 120V, but the startup surge current can be 9A-10A at 120V.

Some folks have been able to get away with a 800W inverter but it is better to error on the larger side in this case.

For my setup I went with a Tripplite PV1250, it has 1250W continuous with a surge rating of 2500W for up to 10 minutes..

Thank you. Very helpful to know. I am already plotting my RV fridge's death. Haha!
Shannen and Rick, empty nesters and loving it!
2015 Keystone Cougar 333MKS
2005 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax