cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Residential fridge replacement

NeverHome2
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the process of replacing our Norcold 1200 with a Samsung RF18 in our 2005 HR Endeavor. We have an inverter & generator and almost never dry camp. The Samsung will fit thru our entry door nicely... maybe an inch to spare. All the dimensions of the Samsung indicated that it will fit nicely in the same opening as the Norcold. The only dimension that will be close is the height. We have Lipert furnace under the fridge (9.5" or 10"). That leaves about .125" to .5" clearance at the top of the Samsung. The debate is if the furnace should be removed or not. It is one of two furnaces in the coach.

Several questions:

We were wondering if anyone out there had a similar issue?
Were you able to leave the furnace and was the clearance adequate?
Can you provide tips on how you built the floor for residential fridge (either over the furnace or not)?
If you removed the furnace, how did you handle covering the outside hole? It is rather large and painted to match the coach.
Lovin' Life!!!!

2005 HR Endeavor
30 REPLIES 30

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Only about 20 years and only use it when a chain saw will not leave a smooth enough edge.:B
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog,
How long have you owned that Makita reciprocating saw? I have one that is 30+ years old and has done a lot of work.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
My unit came within 1/2" of height of fitting. Had to remove the floor and added side rails 1/2' lower to support the new refer. DW did not want to loose the drawer below. I added right angle metal brackets to the top corners of the drawer opening to help support the load. The weight is carried by the side rails and the front cross member which I cut down 1/2". The foil backed insulation is to keep stuff from falling into the drawer.

I added 500 AH of batteries and a 1000W PSW inverter which will run it for 36+ hours before needing to recharge. Could have gotten by with 250AH as my house batteries need charging every 12-18 hours under normal use when boondocking. When running a EnergyStar refer is so effecient it only uses 8 amps DC... 96W AC... less than a 100W bulb. I wish I'd figured this out several years ago before spending too much money on my NoCold 1200 and we boondock often.

Here is my DIYinstall.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
davosfam wrote:
If I can butt into this thread a little...do you have to get a larger inverter to deal with a residential fridge? We keep our 5th wheel on a lot and it is always hooked up to power.

I know RV fridges don't last like they used to so I am already preparing to replace our with a residential fridge.

In your case, no need for an inverter since you never camp without shore power.

BUT to answer your question..

You are correct, to start a inductive load like a fridge compressor you must have an inverter large enough to handle the large startup surges.

Typically compressor run current will be about 1A at 120V, but the startup surge current can be 9A-10A at 120V.

Some folks have been able to get away with a 800W inverter but it is better to error on the larger side in this case.

For my setup I went with a Tripplite PV1250, it has 1250W continuous with a surge rating of 2500W for up to 10 minutes..

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
You don't need ANY inverter is you use a residential fridge but are always hooked up to power. Even traveling between 2 locations, if you don't open the fridge, everything will still be cool and cold when you get to your next location.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

davosfam
Explorer
Explorer
If I can butt into this thread a little...do you have to get a larger inverter to deal with a residential fridge? We keep our 5th wheel on a lot and it is always hooked up to power.

I know RV fridges don't last like they used to so I am already preparing to replace our with a residential fridge.
Shannen and Rick, empty nesters and loving it!
2015 Keystone Cougar 333MKS
2005 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
Nice work. That should support it and you didn't add a bunch of weight. Now you have to come up with a way to fasten the new one in for travel. I lagged mine to the plywood from outside through the old vent.

Also you're going to have to come up with a way to keep the door closed.

NeverHome2
Explorer
Explorer
It is in and it fits! The doors are not on the new fridge yet but there should be about 1-1/2" clearance. The floor has extra 2 x 4 support on all 4 corners. There is still the electric and water hook ups to be done. Those can be accessed from outside thru the old fridge vent. Should have more pictures shortly!

Everything out and ready to be re-engineered:

Bracing started:

New floor with access for water and electric:

Lovin' Life!!!!

2005 HR Endeavor

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure to beef up the floor. The Norcold weight was carried largely by the face frame, so the floor is usually not strong enough for a residential.
-- Chris Bryant

NeverHome2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the advice/info.

The old Norcold is out! The new fridge is in. All went thru the door with no problems. Thanks to our Home Depot delivery guys, we didn't even have to help! They were awesome!

The new fridge is sitting on the motorcycle jack waiting for the floor to be lowered. Now it will be a little easier since we have the actual unit to measure. We plan on leaving the furnace in place. It still looks like the new fridge will fit. Should be about an inch clearance from the ceiling after we remove the trim board. Will try to post some pictures.
Lovin' Life!!!!

2005 HR Endeavor

MrWizard
Being over the furnace will not hurt the fridge or the furnace
And you may need to find a little more clearance at the top
Maybe remove the trim and put it back after the new fridge is in place
Never seen an RV fridge that went all the way to the ceiling and no trim
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
No, one has really answered your question.
No issue with the install over the furnace.
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
I built a plywood platform over the bottom drawer in my Sunova that the fridge sits on and cut the cabinets so it fit. It you look at the big box DIY stores, you may be able to find some finished trim that matches your woodwork. Look in with the paneling, molding and flooring. Sounds like if it's that close you may ave an easy install. We went with a bigger fridge that the Nevercold brand that was factory installed. You also need to think about what you're going to do with the old fridge vents. They may be open to the outside with no screening since they are vented due to burning propane. I replaced my side vent with one of these:

Google "boat hatch"
and then removed to roof vent and sealed it with:

I made sure I had airflow around the new fridge by venting it above and below to the inside of the RV. You're going to have some 12 volt wiring that you need to "cap off" so there's no short later down the road. You may think of some use for it. The only drawback is you will be able to keep ice cream and it will make you fat.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Take a look at my install - link below - While I did not have the furnace below as we have aquahot, we did have a drawer there which I removed. I used slotted angle iron from Home Depot to build the base. I used stainless 1/4" bolts to hold it together. Great support for the residential fridge. You'll have to scroll down to see pictures of the support structure.....Good luck, you'll love the mod....Dennis

Samsung install
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

yamerhammer1
Explorer
Explorer
I installed that same refrigerator in my Jayco 5th wheel. I didn't have a furnace under mine, just a drawer. I had to remove it and redo the floor with 2X4s and 3/4" plywood. The Samsung refrigerator
Is taller by a few inches but had no problems installing it after I fixed the floor. The Samsung works great. Very pleased with the outcome. Good luck
2012 F-250 superduty
2014 Jayco premier 361reqs