cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Residential-type turbine attic fan --> to an RV?

JimFromJersey
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone ever thought of, used, or has seen an RV roof vent/fan styled like the turbine attic fans you put in house attics? I was just pondering on life and such, and thought that if you could mount a suitably-sized fan on the roof, it would help exhaust warm air on those days when running the AC just isn't kosher, and even when stopped, the wind would move it enough to pull air out of the RV/trailer, negating the need to use the DC vent fans many of us have. One might have to work up some sort of locking mechanism, so as not to suck the cat up out of the thing when you're doing 80 MPH or so, but I would think a small, 6- to 10-inch diameter turbine might be quite a possibility.

Engineers and/or more wise and worldly listeners are welcome to debunk this theory. What am I not considering?

๐Ÿ™‚
Always remember, you're a unique individual. Just like the other 7 billion people on the planet...
16 REPLIES 16

JimFromJersey
Explorer
Explorer
Just the kinds of responses I wanted to get - good, bad, "you're nuts", "why didn't I think of that", et celery...

I will probably end up going with one of those 'Fantastic Fans' Endless Breeze models, as recommended by RyanAllie1, as it gets great reviews and seems to be a quality product.

Now, on to the turbonator and gas line magnets... ๐Ÿ™‚
Always remember, you're a unique individual. Just like the other 7 billion people on the planet...

Tin_Pusher
Explorer II
Explorer II
JimFromJersey, got one question for you: Do you see any rating for CFM vs RPM or some such?

Everything I have ever read on these things says they are just a hole in the roof and the "turbine" is a just way to keep the rain out. And yeah, I have had them on houses I lived in. Could never detect any kind of "draft" no matter the wind speed.

Check it out before you buy:)

Cheers
Tin Pusher's Guide To Successful RV'ing: "Don't get mad, don't get in a hurry"

2002 1500HD
2002 Wilderness 265H
1997 Seadoo GTI
1952 Wife;)

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
I think it would be a great idea but I always had some water come in mine at home. Mind you only a few drops but sometimes more. When I reroofed last year I took it off. Went thru 2 in 20 years (bearings) I'd certinly cover it up during travel. I don't think at speed it would withstand the constant pressure of air.

Argosy24
Explorer
Explorer
How consistent is the wind in your area, and how willing are you bet there will be wind when you most need it? Around here it seems like the hotter days are usually still, or close to it.

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
JimFromJersey wrote:

BTW, the Lemango whirlybirds are guaranteed to 110mph winds, so it doesn't seem that 50 or 60mph down the road would be all that outlandish. And they're guaranteed forever... ๐Ÿ™‚

I doubt they are designed to withstand 60+ MPH for hours and days on end. The occasional wind gust of 40 MPH and the once or twice in a lifetime of 60+ MPH for sustained periods during a storm...maybe....but noy a lifetime of 60+ MPH!

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
For a lower profile consider a Solar Vent Fan

Or better IMO is get the Fantastic Vent and add a 100 watt+ solar panel to keep the battery up.

ESVA_Travelers
Explorer
Explorer
We noticed a few last winter installed on RV's in Florida by snowbirds who were leaving their trailers in the park through the summer. They might help with reducing the high humidity and heat in a closed up rig.
Eastern Shore of VA Travelers
2005 F250, 2011 Cedar Creek 34SB 5th Wheel

ryanallie1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All.

Just go for the "Fantastic Fans", Period. Forget any add-ons for the roof. Try buying a "Endless Breese", Fantastic Fan. Talk about being able to move a huge amount of air.

Its also uses less than 3 amps on High. Even on the "Low Speed" it can move a lot of air through out your entire RV. Also much cheaper than messing around with your RV's Roof and some other kind of a Fan.

Also great for helping to move either the A/C or your Furance Air, a lot more evenly through the entire RV. The "Endless Breeze" Fantastic Fan is a great addition to any RV.

Good Luck. Happy Travels. Dan & Jill & our Yorkie Kids
1998-34 ft Rexhall, Rexair SL. 460 EFI. F-53. 7.3 MPG. TST TPMS. HWH Levelers. 5.5G Gen. Convection/Microwave Water Purifier/Water Softner. 2 A/C's. Alarm Systems. Honda EU2000i's W/Kit. Steer-Safe. CR-V W/SMI System. FMCA #F414397 Nam-Vet, 66-67-68&70-71

JimFromJersey
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate the quick responses! I can understand the "no" votes, as I didn't see any whirly-bird type ventilation fans offered by any RV/Camping Equipment manufacturers anywhere on the web, so it doesn't look like any of the "formally trained" outlets have them. I know they move a lot of air, as they're designed to move hot air out of a house attic, not a 30x8x8 RV shoebox. The ones offered by Lemanco are the kind I was thinking of, and they offer an 8" version that seems like it would be more than enough.

My 88 Bounder does not move a lot of air even with all three roof vents and the windows wide open. Plus, my idea was more on the lines of the last post by Golden_HVAC for a way to move air out of the RV when its parked, without using any juice. If it spins while we're going down the road, that's a benefit, but it's the STATIONARY movement I'm most interested in. I'll do some more investigation.

BTW, the Lemanco whirlybirds are guaranteed to 110mph winds, so it doesn't seem that 50 or 60mph down the road would be all that outlandish. And they're guaranteed forever... ๐Ÿ™‚

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I use three Fantastic fans in my 30' motorhome. It keeps it well ventilated.

I get the idea of a turbine type vent fan, they will move a lot of air, but should not be up on the roof at over about 10 MPh, there willbe a lot of side pressure on it's mounts.

If you really wanted to, mount a 18" diameter turbine on a box, about 24" square and 10" tall, 2X10 sides will work great, with plywood top that you mount the turbine to, this will also add weight to keep it in place. This can sit over any one of the 14" square roofvents, and move a lot of air while parked. Make sure you put a note on the gear shift, to remove the turbine before moving the RV.

That turbine can remove all the air from your RV several times per hour, even with a 5 MPH breese.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen them installed- the neatest one was for storage. Built a box over a roof vent, installed the turbine fan on the box. Looked like it should work.
-- Chris Bryant

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I have two Fantastic fans. I can turn it into a cyclone in there.

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
You don't want a turbine vent on a RV. It would create a negitive pressure inside. Which would suck dust, exhaust and whatever else through any opening. It could be strong enough to back pressure the holding tanks.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
We use two fantastic fans, one on exhaust and the other on "in" at the front and rear of our RV. They provide nice airflow.