cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roof questions

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
I did my bi-annual inspection of the roof sealants today, and I have a couple of questions...

1) I did not find any deterioration on the seals that was abnormal. I filled the hairline cracks as I do each spring/fall and all is well. However, I note that the unit is now 5 years old and I wonder if there is a time at which covering the cracks on the original sealant is insufficient. Is there a point at which I should be pulling off the sealant altogether and starting fresh, or is it sufficient to simply continue to inspect and cover 2x each year?

2). I note that I can see the location of the roof seems more clearly than I have in the past. Is this normal with aging, or is it a sign of more extensive deterioration of the roof with which I need to be concerned?

Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The caulk on our last TT was 13 years old and I had only added more to a few little cracks during that time.
It was still in great shape when I sold it.
At only 5 y/o, I would not spend a lot of time removing caulk to install more.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Good question. For me once I had caulk over caulk, I thought about how much pain and time it would take to remove all the old caulk. Picked me couple gallons of RC2000 by Inland coatings spent 3 hours putting it on and back to regularly scheduled inspections.

Inland coating used to have lots of "case studies" on their web site. Know I only see one.

http://inlandcoatings.com/case-study/
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"