cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Seeking options to carry dirt bike on back of 5'er

MGood777
Explorer
Explorer
Have a 2016 Wildcat 313RE. 37' overall length with a pretty accessible frame underneath. Coach came standard with a folding cargo platform that supports 250 pounds in the rear. Platform folds up when not in use but when lowered it supports those 250 pounds pretty well behind the rear bumper. That platform is welded to the frame, which doesn't mean much but it at least tells me that the frame is designed to carry some weight back there.

I want to carry a 250 dual sport bike weighing in the 275-300 pound range. One obvious solution is to have a Class III hitch welded to the frame extending below the bumper in such a way that it could be used in lieu of the platform. Somebody could then use a hitch mount motorcycle carrier. Probably couldn't use the M/C carrier and the platform at the same time because the bike would be back too far, but with the M/C carrier in use the frame would theoretically be carrying about the same weight capacity as the platform (+75-100 pounds) in roughly the same way.

At least that's the way I'm seeing it in my head. I'm carrying slightly more weight than was intended, but I'm doing so in roughly the same method. So long as the hitch is properly engineered and welded I'm thinking it should be easy. 100 pounds can't make a much a difference to the frame at that point.

Biggest liability is movement and motion back there.

Anybody have a better idea or think I'm seeing this wrong?
9 REPLIES 9

srosa
Explorer
Explorer
I added a basic motorcycle carrier to my last fifth wheel with pretty good results. It used a center class III hitch and two outrigger receivers which were welded to the frame. It started out as a Blue Ox carrier but I improved it. I am a few miles away I n Folsom and you are welcome to the carrier for parts (it has a wheel chock) or to install as is. I have a hydralift now and don't need the old carrier anymore. If you want it, it's yours for free. PM or reply if interested.
-Steve
Here's a pic:
2018 DRV MS 38 RSSA
2017 Ford F-450 Lariat CC 4X4 DRW LWB

gtnsmlr
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same trailer, I haul a KTM 500exc on the rack no problems. First thing I did was to fill in the stitch welds were the rack meets the frame. I then made a track with a turn up on one end out of 6" x 18 gauge track and bolted that to the rack. I tie it down buy placing a block under the skid plate and cranking it down with a pair of turnbuckles to the foot pegs.
The older we get, the faster we go

kmbelt
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Put it on the current fold down rack as close as possible to the back of the 5er.

i agree. I'd look at beefing up your current rack and use it if possible. Might be cheaper than having a new hitch installed and buying a motorcycle rack also.
2014 Ram 2500, 6.4 Hemi, CC, 4x4
2010 Puma 259RBSS

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Put it on the current fold down rack as close as possible to the back of the 5er.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

MGood777
Explorer
Explorer
RedRocket204 wrote:
Other option would to put a hitch on the front of your truck and carry the dual-sport there. I would probably choose this route.

If you continue on with the idea in your first post, you may want to contact the 5th manufacturer and make sure they are OK with the added weight on the frame at the end of the trailer. That extra 100 lbs gets magnified with the bouncing that will occur back there.

Great suggestion. I actually do have a Class III hitch on the front of my truck and I use it for a bicycle rack. For it to be practical though I had to find a 10" drop to get the bicycles low enough so that they are out of my field of vision (10" drop was no problem for me because the truck sits on 20" tires and rides a little tall). In California I can only extend 36" past the front bumper to be legal. If you have done what you are describing and have found a way to pull the load as close as possible into the front of the truck I would like to know what it is. My 10" drop pushes the bike rack out about 12" which makes me close to illegal and I would definitely be illegal with a M/C carrier. I'd have to figure out how to get it closer to the truck and haven't ever seen a drop that went straight down and not out.

MGood777
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Google swivel wheel trailer. Puts a lot less stress on the frame attachments and no problem backing into spots with it attached.

It's a gray area if it qualifies as double towing but responses in the past suggest no one is suggesting they have been pulled over for double towing.

I have seen those. I'm in California have gotten an opinion from CHP that it's doubles and here I need a commercial class A for that. I'd also be dangerously close to being over the CA 65 foot max length with my Ram 3500 and the 5'er. Thanks for the suggestion. It's a good idea just not worth the risk or the hassle though I think.

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Other option would to put a hitch on the front of your truck and carry the dual-sport there. I would probably choose this route.

If you continue on with the idea in your first post, you may want to contact the 5th manufacturer and make sure they are OK with the added weight on the frame at the end of the trailer. That extra 100 lbs gets magnified with the bouncing that will occur back there.
I love me some land yachting

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Google swivel wheel trailer. Puts a lot less stress on the frame attachments and no problem backing into spots with it attached.

It's a gray area if it qualifies as double towing but responses in the past suggest no one is suggesting they have been pulled over for double towing.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
Nope, sounds good to me. Just check the welds at every stop the first few times.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater