Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

solar powered vent

jamescook
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
I'm considering to install 2 solar powered vents to my class-b motorhome (Sprinter Van). Is this worth the effort?

Smartvent 300S
(880 ft³/h at best)

Do you have any experience with these kind of vents?

Peter
KK6IMU

ecoast
Explorer
Explorer
I have had these in a motoryacht, and they will help a lot with excess heat.
quiet, and will run all night after a sunny day.
07 5.9 CTD & 2000 Northstar Laredo TC towing 87 Samurai ORV on dual axle trailer

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I would go a little larger if this is for in use.

https://www.acwholesalers.com/Broan/345SOBK-Solar-Powered-Attic-Ventilator

Otherwise I would recommend 100w to 240w of solar panels and an RV style Fantastic Vent fan.

jamescook
Explorer
Explorer
I already have a 100Wp panel on the roof. I need the power for my fridge. The solar vent is not meant for operating at night. It should prevent the car from heating up, when parked in the sun.

(btw, the car has more likely less than 500 cubic feet)

Peter
KK6IMU

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
The panel is tiny. 3 hours of work is nothing. Forget about it. Get a 100W panel with a small solar charger, should be less than $200 altogether, and power up a proper fan for 8-12 hours every night.

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know that vent specifically, but it seems pretty small.

My vent fan can do a complete air exchange in 5 minutes and is rated at 800 cubic feet/minute, the size of my 5er being roughly 3,800 cubic feet. The fan does a good job when the temperature is in the 80's.

The proposed vent fan is 5 inches in diameter and moves 880 cubic feet/hour (not minute), if I converted your specs correctly. Your vehicle, if it is 20 feet long, probably is something like 1,100 cubic feet. One of those fans would do a complete air exchange every 75 minutes, at best.

Looks like 15-20 fans should do the job! 🙂
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.