cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Swapping out Dometic unit for residential unit

webejpn
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a '04 31BH Cardinal and found out the fridge was bad so i decided to swap in a residential unit.

1.To be safe i made sure the propane was turned off, shore power disconnected and batteries were disconnected.

2.Unplug old fridge from outlet.

3.Disconnect gas line from fridge.

4.Put some pipe thread compound onto the plug and screw it into the gas line.

4.Disconnect the 2 12V wires from the block and cap each one separately.

5.Pull 2 screws out that go through the metal tracks (one on each side) that hold the fridge to the plywood deck.

6.Inside the camper, open bottom door and remove the 2 screws (one in each corner) that are on the bottom rail right under where the door would be.

7.Open the freezer door and you should be able to grab the top instrument panel (where the on/off button and Dometic logo is) and pull that panel off. Once off you will see 2 screws going up that hold the fridge to the wood facade/cabinet. Take those out.

8.Now this part would be good to have someone there to help you. Fortunately for me and my size i was able to do it myself. You should be able to grab the fridge and slide it right out! Just be prepared, it's heavier than it looks!

9.Once old unit is out, i took the time to shop vac that empty space and get it nice and clean.

10. The unit i put in there is a Visanni (made by Magic Chef). I paid $300 for the black unit from Home Depot. The unit fit right in, very snug, but it fit. I had to remove the hinge cap on the top as well as trim the front leveling pads a bit to get it in.

11.Go back outside and plug the new unit into the outlet. If you moved the new unit around alot or tipped it, be sure to let it settle for a couple hours before plugging it in.

I don't plan on moving my camper ever so i didn't take any steps to secure it beyond it's extremely sung fit or to keep the doors from opening so those are extra steps you will need to take.
-2015 Chevy Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 5.3L Max Trailering Package 3.73 Rear gearing
-2018 Arctic Wolf 265dbh8
11 REPLIES 11

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am not about to swap out my 4 door Dometic 'just because' but I figure that someday it is going to fail like the one before it & the next time a residential unit is going in.

Since the Dometic is not going to give me any warning on when it is goping to fail the measurements have been done & the residential model, a Samsung, currently available has been chosen.

I can buy 3 Samsungs for the price of 1 Dometic so I am not going to be raped by Dometic again. The issue of battery bank size & pure sine wave inverter is already covered & installed.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Jim-Linda
Explorer
Explorer
webejpn wrote:
Jim-Linda wrote:

interesting... my gas line was a flare fitting, proper plug into the nut, no compound.

Jim

Mine was as well, however hardware store guy suggested it just to be safe. I'd like to think that was his thought rather than trying to make a sale :?

I would look for another hardware guy. What he suggested can in itself cause a leaking fitting.

Traveler7
Explorer
Explorer
Nice job...looks great in there!
"We are not defined by our limitations, we are defined by our potential"

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a Visanni to replace my RV fridge and returned it. The sidewalls of the fridge are now the condenser.

The rest of the no RV is just CYA by the manufacturer. I have installed a household fridge in previous RVs but they did not use the walls for cooling and only called for an inch of side clearance.

The heat in my household fridge is fan assisted and dissipates through the lower front and requires almost no clearance.

Time will tell. Jim

webejpn
Explorer
Explorer
JJRBUS: I saw that as well when i was researching the idea. When installed i've got at least 5in on the backside and about 2" on the sides, 2" on the bottom and 6in on the top. Not to mention the roof vent directly above the top (i sealed up the wall vent to prevent bugs from coming in). This is more airflow than my fridge in my home has and when i look up the manual for that i found the same clearance suggestions. My camper will never move as i have no way to haul it so that part is not a concern.
-2015 Chevy Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 5.3L Max Trailering Package 3.73 Rear gearing

webejpn
Explorer
Explorer
Halmfamily wrote:
What model of the Visanni fridge did you use? Wife has this on my honey do list and have yet to do it. Thanks

This is the unit we purchased: Fridge

webejpn
Explorer
Explorer
Jim-Linda wrote:

interesting... my gas line was a flare fitting, proper plug into the nut, no compound.

Jim

Mine was as well, however hardware store guy suggested it just to be safe. I'd like to think that was his thought rather than trying to make a sale :?

jrclark
Explorer
Explorer
When my Dometic Refrigerator went bad in 2014 I replaced it with a Visanni and I have had no problem with it. Does not seem to mind when ambient temperature is below 50 degrees or above 85 degrees.
2003 Damon Ultrasport 3677

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
What model of the Visanni fridge did you use? Wife has this on my honey do list and have yet to do it. Thanks
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

Jim-Linda
Explorer
Explorer

Jim