cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Television Removal - Help!

skrams
Explorer
Explorer
Since tv is also tow vehicle, search here is hard!

I successfully removed 2 of the 3 tvs in the rv, need to remove the front one. There's a fake leather covered piece of plywood at the bottom underside of the cabinet, we got that off. Unscrewed the 2 screws we could see that went into the tv. There is a metal base under the tv, that has bolts that are inaccessible. Any thoughts on getting the tv out? We don't see more visible screws, other than seem to be holding the cabinet itself together, and if we take those out, it seems like the whole thing will fall.

This isn't our exact rv, but the same model http://www.roamingtimes.com/consumer/newrvs/2007-four-winds-hurricane.asp

Thoughts?

And if anyone has pictures/threads of various installations of flatscreens in that spot, I would love links here please. I tried searching, can't find anything.
2007 Four Winds Hurricane 34B (Ford Chassis) Bunkhouse
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT (5-speed manual)
SMI Stay-In-Play & Blue-Ox Aventa LX
9 REPLIES 9

skrams
Explorer
Explorer
Done! That nut was the right one, but I also had to take off the wood base. Had my 14 year old help me - not a one person job! I was expecting a more finished area - plywood box at least, so this will take some figuring out. I'm still open to links/suggestions for a new flatscreen.

skrams
Explorer
Explorer
New Mexico Roadrunner wrote:
I own 05 Hurricane that I changed the front TV on. If yours is the same setup there will be a crank mechanisim in the overhead compartment on the passenger side. If you put a socket on the hex head bolt protruding from the left side of the compartment you should be able to handle the TV.

This? It's on the roof of that compartment, left side. If so, brilliant, thanks!

New_Mexico_Road
Explorer
Explorer
I own 05 Hurricane that I changed the front TV on. If yours is the same setup there will be a crank mechanisim in the overhead compartment on the passenger side. If you put a socket on the hex head bolt protruding from the left side of the compartment you should be able to handle the TV.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I suspect the wire rope is a safety cable to keep the TV from becoming airborne in a crash. (Either that, or it connects to a bell somewhere that rings if you pull it, alerting the driver to let you off at the next stop!)

It looks to me like the cabinetry was at least partly put in place after the television was mounted. I'd hunt around for ways to remove it. The cabinet framework appears to be assembled with pocket screws, which should be easy enough to disassemble if nothing else presents itself.

I also suspect a relatively thin open-end wrench (not an adjustable one) would be able to loosen the nuts on the four bolts, at least until the other end of the bolts got loose enough to start spinning with the nut. Maybe a person with pointy enough fingers could hold the two closest to the windshield still by reaching over the back (front?) of the shelf, but the other two look more doubtful. It would be a miserable job to remove things that way, at any rate.

skrams
Explorer
Explorer
Pictures as requested! Other than the two bolts each side holding the metal frame on, I can't really see anything to remove. And if those 4 bolts are how the tv comes out, it will come out with a bang when they are removed! If you brilliant people here can't figure it out, I will have to take the pp's advice and contact four winds.

The bedroom tv was held on by 4 screws. The bunkroom tv (small, flatscreen) had a total of 12 screws that needed to be removed to take it out! Amount of screws does not seem to equal size of item.

I'd really like to get this done before my husband sees this thread and realizes I've found another project! ๐Ÿ˜‰

skrams
Explorer
Explorer
Metal base looking up. Front of RV is at the top of the picture

Bolt on the passenger side holding metal base on, you can see two in the previous picture. The gap is small enough that I can only get a finger tip in.

There's a wire going from passenger side bottom, up across and down to driver's side, at the front of the tv. It's rigid.

Where the wire attaches at the bottom

Passenger side of tv, looking to top of cabinet

top of tv across to driver's side

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
You might be able to contact Four Winds and ask them how they attached the TV to the cabinet. JMO
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH

Fiverwheel
Explorer
Explorer
On our motorhome the back of the cabinet facing the windshield is removable.
2006 34' Monaco Cayman

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can you post pictures of what you can see with the bits that you've removed taken out?

Can you see the inaccessible bolts on the metal sub-frame? If you don't care about the frame in particular, can you possibly cut it with a cut-off wheel (in a Dremel or little angle grinder) or something? Do you believe that's what the television is mounted to?

Is there anything interesting to see from the insides of the adjacent side cabinets? Maybe the "walls" separating the cabinets are removable somehow.

It would seem that there must be some sort of access at least to the back of the television for power and cable/antenna hookup, but sometimes what I think must be accessible and what the makers determine needs access are not entirely in agreement.