cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tripp Lite PowerVerter RV RV3012OEM

Benoit1967
Explorer
Explorer
We want to install a good energy system on our fifth wheel that will allow us tobe off the power grid for long periods of time. I am wanting to add about 500W of solar panels to charges 4-6 volts batteries.

I like the features of the of Tripp Lite Inverter/Charger, its automatic switch to revert to AC when plugged to shore power and the fact it is hard wired.

My question: Can solar panels be intalled with this device? I was thinking of a good MPPT charge conlroller but I am not sure if the inverter/charger can co-exist with the MPPT controller...Will itbe good or bad for the batteries?

I need to change my signature, we own a 2014 Open Range 316RLS.

Thanks from a newbie to solar
2014 Open Range 316RLS fifth wheel
2012 Hyundai Veloster 6 Speed, triathlon gray (commuter car)
2011 Ford F350, 6.7L diesel, Lariat, 4X4, Crew Cab, Short box, Tri-coat white
2008 Princecraft Pro 166 (black)
10 REPLIES 10

westend
Explorer
Explorer
You'll need more than 600W of solar and 4 6V batteries to power a roof mounted air conditioner. Yes, a two air conditioner RV should have the AC's on different legs of the 50 amp service.

Quartzfest downloadable spreadsheet calculator to define total power use. This is the first step in designing a solar system, buying an inverter, and calculating how many batteries are needed.

A good exercise is to use the power calculator and remove a high power device like microwave, hair dryer, Keurig coffee maker to see how it effects the final solar and battery solution. I think you will be surprised how that changes things.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Benoit1967
Explorer
Explorer
One more question if I may... our unit has 50amp service but only one air conditioning unit. Woukd hard-wiring a Magnum pure sine inverter/charger be advisable? They are rated for 30amp service but from what I readm unless there are two air conditioning units, one does not 'use' 50amp.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
The 1250fc power verter Mr Wizard suggested to me easily handles the air conditioner that took out our 3000w PSW inverter. Thanks for the help with that.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

MrWizard
3000w can be more than needed or less depending on the mfg and what else is running off inverter "total load"

i don't know of any inverter models with better surge ratings or heavier transformers than the power verter models

that doesn't mean they don't exist
but IMO they will out perform anything of similar KW size and many that have a higher rating..even PSW models
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Benoit1967
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard, based on what you're saying, a 3000 watt is likely an overkill then. In reality, the microwave or the DW hair drier that will run a maximum of 3-5 minutes will be the heaviest load...

I am still in the 'discovery' phase of my project and I would welcome all input you folks may have.

I am not looking to install a buch of monitoring panels and 'toys', I want an efficient setup that will require little maintenance and be efficient for full timing. Like I mentioned earlier, I am thinking 500W os solar panels should do the trick... but if you folks think ineed to bump that up t 600W, I will...

Thanks everyone!!!

Ben

MrWizard
the power-verter has a heavy transformer, it has a very good filtered wave form
and a much longer time surge rating than most inverters even PSW models
look at weight in specs and the surge time, overload time duration, when comparing to other models,
my invert only power-verter model will carry 150% of rating for 60 minutes
and 200% of rating for 10 minutes
most inverters have surge ratings in Millseconds

my 1250w power verter, will carry my 1685w input power MW
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Benoit1967
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys... and GT thanks for pointing out the modified sine wave, I misread the ino... I definately want a pure sine wave inverter....

Back at looking for an inverter/charger... ๐Ÿ™‚

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
The PowerVerter is modified sine wave. If you're looking at something that high of wattage, hard-wired, go for pure sine wave. Price between that unit and a Magnum MagnaSine of similar wattage is not that different.

Just my 5 cents...
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

MrWizard
yes you can
12v DC battery charging systems, are compatible ,no problems
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Benoit1967 wrote:
I was thinking of a good MPPT charge conlroller but I am not sure if the inverter/charger can co-exist with the MPPT controller..
I assume you're referring to times when you're plugged in with both the solar and charger going. Yes, that's fine, your batteries won't blow up. Sometimes they work together, sometimes they don't and just one takes over. No biggie.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman