cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

110 PSI Air While on the Road

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thinking about upgrading from 80 PSI E-rated tires to 110 PSI G-rated tires.

I assume 110 PSI air is available at most Love, Pilot-type truck stops?

Anybody use a portable air compressor? If so, what make/model?
66 REPLIES 66

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sam Spade wrote:
otrfun wrote:
Specifically, how do you address this non-linearity?
I ignore nit-picking comments that serve to do nothing but cause a pointless argument.

I also don't change things like tire ratings without a reason.
No argument here, SamSpade. Just legitimate questions and no answers.

I clarified and explained the rationale behind my question in my Jun 28/0933pm post. I thought about rephrasing the question to make it more palatable for you. But, then I thought, what's the point? You're not a subject matter expert ๐Ÿ˜ž

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
I got a Viair portable compressor which can pump 110 psi.I don't have any complains.
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
Specifically, how do you address this non-linearity?

I ignore nit-picking comments that serve to do nothing but cause a pointless argument.

I also don't change things like tire ratings without a reason.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sam Spade wrote:
otrfun wrote:

You seem to be confident about this payload/PSI relationship for each and every tire. May I ask where you're getting this info?
A little common sense and 50 years of experience.

And it is not "for each and every tire".
It is only for going UP one load range rating without a significant increase in load.

Other considerations may apply if making more drastic changes.
Common sense, experience, and the ability to appreciate "other considerations" varies widely from individual to individual. Assumptions can be deadly.

BTW, your comment "only going UP one load range without a significant increase in load" ignores the fact that tire load and PSI are NOT linear from tire to tire. Specifically, how do you address this non-linearity?

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:

You seem to be confident about this payload/PSI relationship for each and every tire. May I ask where you're getting this info?

A little common sense and 50 years of experience.

And it is not "for each and every tire".
It is only for going UP one load range rating without a significant increase in load.

Other considerations may apply if making more drastic changes.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

bigdon68
Explorer
Explorer
The best solution is a Hornblaster Air System. Not only gives you a 200 PSI system but gives you the opportunity for air horns, air bottle jack and air gun. I have this setup supersized on my truck and it works great. AIR SYSTEM

Enjoy the road. We do.

bigdon68
2017 F450 Lariat Shadow Black / Magnetic, LB, 6.7, Chrome Pkg. TS3 Air Hitch, Retrax, 55 Gal.Aux.Tank
2017 DRV Mobile Suites,induction cooktop, solar, f/b paint, MorRyde IS, 17.5" Tires,residential frig, 3" riser, MorRyde Steps

MY PICTURES

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sam Spade wrote:
lak356 wrote:
So is it okay if your trailer came with a rated 80 psi tires to put G-rated and only run 80 psi my rims are rated for 110 PSI the G rated 110 PSI tires would be running 30 PSI under recommended pressure that does not sound right to me
That depends on exactly WHY you are "upgrading" the tires.

If there is no specific reason other than you just think they will be better somehow......then the answer is "Yes, absolutely".
Westlake 235/80/16 E-rated tires are rated ~3500 lbs. at 80 PSI.

One of the Gladiator 235/85/16 G-rated tires are rated at ~3700 lbs. at 110 PSI. Some 110 PSI G-rated tires can support more than 4000 lbs. of payload.

Obviously, payload and PSI are NOT linear from tire to tire. Although I agree with your basic premise, the exact PSI necessary for any given payload (specifically for applications using LESS than the maximum rated capacity) is typically a guess . . . UNLESS the manufacturer specifically states a specific PSI for any given payload (UNDER the maximum rating of the tire).

To my knowledge very few tire manufacturers provide this info.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
lak356 wrote:
So is it okay if your trailer came with a rated 80 psi tires to put G-rated and only run 80 psi my rims are rated for 110 PSI the G rated 110 PSI tires would be running 30 PSI under recommended pressure that does not sound right to me

That depends on exactly WHY you are "upgrading" the tires.

If there is no specific reason other than you just think they will be better somehow......then the answer is "Yes, absolutely".
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Look at the weight/inflation chart. 85psi is most likely 5 psi higher than what the chart dictates based on your RV being maxed out with "E" tires.

I ram 85 on GY "G" tires for many thousands of miles with zero problems and even wear.

The steel rims were 80psi rated 6 lug. They don't magically blow up at 5psi over!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't think I'd run them down at 80 psi, but I wouldn't have any issues at 95 psi. Check your weight and see how much you have on your tires.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

lak356
Explorer
Explorer

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

So don't blindly air to MAX if up sizing.

You said it SO much better than I did.
Thanks. :C
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
110 is the MAX inflation! If your RV came with "G" tires most like it warranted 110psi based on load. If upsizing from E to G or G to H then inflation should be based on load. Per GY tech support when up sizing use the weight/inflation chart and add 5psi to what the chart dictates.

They said this will give better ride, better stopping power and better tire wear.

So don't blindly air to MAX if up sizing.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

thedoghouse
Explorer
Explorer
rkassl wrote:
Sam Spade wrote:
otrfun wrote:
Certainly didn't want to start another tire debate. Just trying to focus on the logistical issue of finding reliable sources of air at 110 PSI.

You should be focusing on NOT doing something that will potentially be dangerous to you and others on the road.

You should NOT put 110 psi in your tires just because you CAN.
As mentioned, many RVs intended to use 80 have rims that are not designed to go to 110......and doing so can be dangerous.

There is no debate about that.

If you need the higher rated tires because of added weight AND you have the proper rims to do that, just say so and we can move on.

The cold inflation pressure for the G14 is 110. I prefer to listen to the manufacturer. I have had three sets of these ALWAYS at the suggested cold inflation pressure with no problems.

X2 correct
2008 Holiday Rambler Presidential Suite 36 RLT
2011 Ford F350 CC DRW B&W Companion