cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2005 Cougar 285EFS

sunbear64
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there,new to the forum..looking at doing my first 5th purchase..im looking at a 2005 cougar 285EFS.. would love some pros and cons..its at a dealers..looks good and sound,to the untrained eye.will be pulling it with a 94 F-350 turbo..
13 REPLIES 13

sunbear64
Explorer
Explorer
Thats what ive herd about the sofa pulled out..

pbar34
Explorer
Explorer
We've had our Cougar 275EFS since new in 2004. I believe this is the same general model as the 285. The unit tows great. We've had no major issues with the unit and its never been back to the dealer for repairs. Has served our needs very well for the last 10 years. The only thing that bugs me about the unit is that the entry door access is blocked when the couch bed is folded out. If you have kids that like to sleep in, or go to bed early, you need to have long legs to step over the bed, or step on the bed to enter/exit the RV.

Phil
2005 Cougar 275EFS
2007 Chevy CC, D/A LBZ

ohiopicker
Explorer
Explorer
My 2004 Laredo's suspension looked suspicious, as the shackle bolts thru the spring eyes didn't appear to be in the center of the eyes. I had a Dexter wet bolt kit and heavy duty (thicker) shackles installed. Much better, and I was surprised that the cost was as low as it was. Just under $367.00 for all the material and labor.

JR45
Explorer
Explorer
sunbear64 wrote:
Not sure what a wet bolt is?

Here is what the wet bolts are, need to check. If these wear through bad things will happen.
http://www.serenitysys.com/rv/technical/suspension/dexter_ez_flex_equalizer_upgrade.html
JR
2006 Country Coach Inspire 360 40ft Genoa Designer Series Cat C9 Samsung 197 RR
Aluminum Radiator was recently replaced with a STEEL & COPPER Bolt Together Radiator w/ updated rubber mountings
SilverLeaf VMS 330
Toad--2011 Ford Edge Sport, Air Force One
:C

sunbear64
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure what a wet bolt is?

johnrbd
Explorer
Explorer
When buying a used trailer, I would recommed the suspense all be inspected - ie, shackles, springs, axles - using wet bolts where needed.

sunbear64
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Bob and Dianne..should be getting the unit at the end of the month,then an RV show same weekend..looking forward to it forsure

B_Sjulestad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Welcome to the forum and the soon to be rv lifestyle. that sounds like a great rig to start your journey. when you have your own you then tend to notice all the others on the road, you attend rv shows and will be going through the stages bigger 5vr to bigger tv. Good luck in your decision and happy camping.
Bob & Dianne
2016 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4 DRW D/A
2013 Cedar Creek 36ckts
Emmy,Sassy and Flower our 4 legged kids

ronfisherman
Moved from class C.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

sunbear64
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much for the info..great tip..

johnrbd
Explorer
Explorer
sunbear64 wrote:
Thanks johnrbd..this also has the wardrobes on either side,as well as the same tv layout you had..does have the table and chairs,instead of other set up.can't see how a guy can get into the chairs...lol.def need to do the tv setup you mentioned.

On the TV setup, I mounted a 1-inch oak board vetically in the front edge, mid-way side-to-side on the hole. I put a removable bracket in. Not the greatest in the world, got it at Wally's, but it allowed me to remove the TV and store it in original box while in transit. I placed the box on left side with pillows on either side.

Hope you have a much fun rving and we did. We sold rig to best friends a yr ago, since we didn't have time (grandkids) or health to keep rving.

sunbear64
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks johnrbd..this also has the wardrobes on either side,as well as the same tv layout you had..does have the table and chairs,instead of other set up.can't see how a guy can get into the chairs...lol.def need to do the tv setup you mentioned.

johnrbd
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same exact 5'vr, 2005 model year.

I did notice, in checking some websites, a few differences.

#1 - Entertainment setup - mine had the cheesy cd/radio on left side and TV hole on the right. I would hold a 16" crt tv. I removed to old TV and replaced it with a 26" lcd (it fit outside the TV hole, right up against the radio.

On websites, they showed TV hole (same approx size) in the center with the cd/radio setup below the TV.

#2 - On either side of the bed up front, I had wardrobe closets. The model on website showed a nightstand on either side of bed.

FYI, the pullout rear bumper/storage rack holds very little weight, maybe 200 lbs. I NEVER carried anything on he rack.

I was very happy with the 5'vr. Took it to Maine and back to California with no issues.

I would strongly recommend Maxxis ST 225/15D tires, if 16" LT tires/rims are not on it.

I towed it with a 2005 Chev 2500HD, ext cab, short bed, with 8.1 big block gas, 4.10 rear axle. I made a PERFECT combo with this 5vr. Trailer weight approx 9300-lb fully loaded. Pin weight, approx 1500-lb. Fresh water tank at rear of unit.

This trailer is not high luxury model or quality, but it was sufficient for us. We knew exact what it was after thoroughly researching it and competitors. It has great pantry space, good counter space, good shower size. We replaced two chairs with Lazy Boy recliners. Firmer foam on dinette seats would have been nice.

We replaced the 13.5K A/C unit with a 15K unit. Worked great with the 30-amp service and kept us comfortable, except on 116 degree heat.