cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2009 Holiday Rambler Presidential

tompatty6670
Explorer
Explorer
Is the 2009 Holiday Rambler Presidential still one of the "good" years? Any help would be appreciated.
20 REPLIES 20

duaner1
Explorer
Explorer
We currently have a 2009 Alumascape 33CKT that we absolutely love purchased new in August of '09 and at a ridiculous discountdue to the fact of no factory warranty. Only thing we've had to repalce has been the microwave. Certainly not HR's fault. One thing that did bother me is the amount of saw dust, screws, nails and general trash left in the hidden areas throughout the unit. Probably a result of things going down hill...But, fit and finish on the unit as expected very good. No issues with the structure and mechanicals either.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is identical to Dave's ^^^^^. As Rick stated, mine has 7,000# rated axles by Dexter.
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

byronlj
Explorer
Explorer
Buy the '09. It is probably better built than most any brand made today. I bought mine in '07 and have never regretted it.
Dave
byronlj
2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3800RL

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
You have a " follower " Jim :B Glad to get him off my back :W Hope the Canadian border is far enough north :E
Oh yeah to stay on topic, 6k, 7k then the 8k axles where available to all manufactures from Al-Ko and Dexter in that time frame. Not sure about HR spec's but my little camper came with 7K tandem axles.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
kakampers wrote:
We owned a 2007 Alumascape...a step down from Presidential. We had so many problems with it, it was gone in 10 months. Cabinets came loose from the wall, leaks, slide motors kept breaking and the last straw was the rear axle ripped off the frame while backing into a site.

Think they went down hill alot sooner than 2009...JMHO.

We have a 06 HR Alumascape that's stored in a shop. It's been a great trailer with very few problems. I remember looking at the axles on different brands at the time and the HR always seamed to be the largest. All interior and exterior items are in great shape.

IMO I always thought the HR products were some of the best built trailers utilizing very little wood.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
kakampers wrote:
We owned a 2007 Alumascape...a step down from Presidential. We had so many problems with it, it was gone in 10 months. Cabinets came loose from the wall, leaks, slide motors kept breaking and the last straw was the rear axle ripped off the frame while backing into a site.

Wow, guess it goes to show that I've yet seen a manufacturer make all their rv's perfectly. Sort of found that out just over the years I've been on this forum..Some of the most expensive higher end 5er's even have had issues. I've never had any of the above issues, and Lord willing, I won't..never had a leak, axles still in place, no irregular tire wear, Mine will be 8 years old and again, is in almost as good a shape as the day I purchased it....guess we've really been fortunate.

to the OP, I would say it would be hard to "guess" what year they started making "less quality" 5er"...seeing as how, over the years, even the best manufacturers will make a bad one every once in a while....

If you like it and it checks out good, buy it...if you have doubts, walk away from it.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
kakampers wrote:

According to some on this forum most rv's have never been close to the top of the hill .

Owned a older Holiday Rambler travel trailer, that was as good as they get, but that is JMHO.

kakampers
Explorer
Explorer

2013 Heartland Landmark Key Largo with Mor Ryde IS and disc brakes
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW Crew Cab Duramax Diesel

tompatty6670
Explorer
Explorer
Good info everyone. But still no answer to my original post. I think the quality dropped dramatically either in 2009 or 2010. I'm sure 2008 was still a good year.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
JTrac wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
You may be right...I just went to their website and they show there TT's and 5er's along with a 2014 Presidential 5th wheel, but again, maybe they decided not to go back into the business after all.

The one I have is solid as a rock and has held up extremely well for a unit that has been towed through the mountains of NC, SC, TN, VA and WV....to me, it's a quality built unit.

I probably did this wrong but here is the article:

http://rvdailyreport/industry/monaco-towable-division-shuttered/

No, you did it right, appears they WILL NOT manufacture any more towables...Oh well, I hadn't planned on buying another anyway and my warranty has been gone for a while...
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
NC Hauler wrote:
You may be right...I just went to their website and they show there TT's and 5er's along with a 2014 Presidential 5th wheel, but again, maybe they decided not to go back into the business after all.

The one I have is solid as a rock and has held up extremely well for a unit that has been towed through the mountains of NC, SC, TN, VA and WV....to me, it's a quality built unit.

I probably did this wrong but here is the article:

http://rvdailyreport/industry/monaco-towable-division-shuttered/
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer

B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
NC Hauler wrote:
JTrac wrote:
topjimmy wrote:
Too bad what happened to the company they were a great Mfg I had a 1994 class A and they were the best out there, My first time out Rving We parked next to Presidential And just loved it and wanted one BAD but could not afford one,then like was said before Monaco fell on hard times and they dropped the Presidential and just went with the Aluma-scape and Savoy ,I would not think a 2009 Presidential would be any better or worse than any other brand in 2009 Now they have the New high end Presidential but they do not promote it much.........Too bad

The new owners shut down the towable division. It is no more. All that is left are motorhomes. They also canned the Roadmaster chassis used on Monaco, HR and I'm pretty sure on Beaver and all the other lines Monaco owned. It was one of the best thought of chassis out there. I think the new Monaco's will be on a Freightliner chassis.

They are now making Travel trailers again under the Holiday Rambler name, as well as some 5er's at this time.

Not sure how to link it but on 2-14 there was a post on this forum of an article saying the new owners had shuttered the towable division, including HR. Maybe someone else knows how to do that.
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
JTrac wrote:
topjimmy wrote:
Too bad what happened to the company they were a great Mfg I had a 1994 class A and they were the best out there, My first time out Rving We parked next to Presidential And just loved it and wanted one BAD but could not afford one,then like was said before Monaco fell on hard times and they dropped the Presidential and just went with the Aluma-scape and Savoy ,I would not think a 2009 Presidential would be any better or worse than any other brand in 2009 Now they have the New high end Presidential but they do not promote it much.........Too bad

The new owners shut down the towable division. It is no more. All that is left are motorhomes. They also canned the Roadmaster chassis used on Monaco, HR and I'm pretty sure on Beaver and all the other lines Monaco owned. It was one of the best thought of chassis out there. I think the new Monaco's will be on a Freightliner chassis.

They are now making Travel trailers again under the Holiday Rambler name, as well as some 5er's at this time.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet